Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Retina lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Retina lenses Reply with quote

Can someone please explain me (or suggest me where to look for) which retina lenses are usable with a dkl to dslr adapter?
Considering the size of the lenses there must be at least two kinds, but I really couldn't find any precise info about that.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lenses you're looking for are those for the Retina IIIS rangefinder camera, the Retina Reflex S, III, IV and Instamatic Reflex. All of these will fit the DKL adapters, as will Voigtlander lenses for the Bessamatic and Ultramatic cameras. The ones that are not suitable include the 35mm f/4 or f/5.6 and 80mm f/4 front components for the Retina C folding cameras and the original Retina Reflex. These use some elements inside the camera body, so aren't usable on anything else without some serious modification.

There's a good page about the Retina lenses here, with pictures:

http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/Retina/Retina%20Lenses.htm

...and another for the Voigtlander ones, here:

http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Bessa_RF_histo.html

Hope this helps!

Last edited by heritagecameras on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have used retina lenses on adapter with m4/3 to excelkent effect with no real problems. i have only used schneider-kruexach lenses intended for use on kodak retina reflex iii or iv cameras. there are also a bunch of lenses for what i think they call 'retina c', these dont work as theyre only the front element. there are also if i remember correctly voigtlander lenses with dkl mount. i recall from personal experience that i could not get these lenses to fit into the adapter, they just seemed mounted slightly differently.

so if you ask the seler if the lenses are for retina iii or iv, you,ll be ok. the lenses are generally very very good, especially on m4/3, less so on FF dslr. they are also great on the kodak film camera, which i also have. i recommend the iv, as the iii is a rangefinder with no aperture etc info in the vf, which i personally found intolerable. the iv is extremely fun and produces great results.

in terms of the lenses, in terms of IQ i recommend in order of best to least best: 35/2.8, 50/1.9, 85/4, 45/2.8, 28/4, 135/4, 200/4. the last two are low contrast performers. the lenses are very compact and yield great color.
tony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I own a few DKL-mount lenses, from different manufacturers like Schneider-Kreuznach, Voigtlander and Rodenstock.
My favorite is the Voigtlander Septon 50/2
And the Voigtlander Super-Dynarex 135/4 which is really "petite" Smile)

One common problem I found in all DKL-mount lenses, compared to, eg, Nikkor mount : they have a relatively long minimun focusing distance, making them less then easy for close-up shots ...

C U
Rafael

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that mount try to use the skopagon 2/40. Very good lens. The best voogtlander srl lens to me, by far.

In retina, the heliogon 50, curtagon 35, tele 4,8/200 and xenon 50 ate good ones.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks everybody for the great info.
Actually the ones that looked strange must be retina-c: being only the front element would explain why they looked too short in relation with fl.
So now let the hunt begin Twisted Evil
Thanks everybody again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've long been interested in DKL lenses, would love to know how the Rodenstocks, Schneiders and Voigtlanders compare and which are the best of the bunch.

Good info from Rino, cheers.