Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fastest Russian production lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Fastest Russian production lens? Reply with quote

I have a copy of Arsat N 50mm f/1.4 lens in Nikon mount, manufactured by Arsenal in 1994. If I have understood right, this lens started as Helios-123 during Soviet era. My Arsat´s s/n is 9400606, so I believe that at least a few hundred lenses were produced.

Apart from Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 and Helios-40 85 mm f/1,5 lenses, there were plans to produce:

MC Zenitar 50 mm f/1.4 (by KMZ),
MC Volna-4 50 mm f/1.4 (by Arsenal) and
MC Volna-8N 50mm f/1.2 lens (by Arsenal).

I believe only short pilot series of these were ever manufactured.

Has anybody actually seen these lenses, or can I boast owning the fastest Russian production lens, if the Cyclop night vision lenses are not included? Cool

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure I saw a Helios 1.4 50mm in Nikon mount, but I might be wrong and it was the Arsat you have.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have seen pics of Helios 50/1.4 lens, and it´s possible, that they were sold with that name.

http://www.photohistory.ru/index.php?pid=1207248188604538

The Photohistory Russia web page doesn´t give any details, however about Helios-123. The Arsat I have, had a leafleft with pic of Helios-123 with it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the plethora of different markings I've seen on Russian lenses, I suppose i's possible some Arsats were labelled Helios, I think I saw it on a Kiev 19 for sale on ebay.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know any faster.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Given the plethora of different markings I've seen on Russian lenses, I suppose i's possible some Arsats were labelled Helios, I think I saw it on a Kiev 19 for sale on ebay.

I believe, that the Arsenal factory started using the Arsat name Ukrainian independence, propably they hadn´t a licence to use Helios brand any more.

Helios-81 50mm f/2 lenses are also manufactured under Arsat N name. Maybe the lens you saw was this slower one.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast Soviet lenses?

Go here http://www.lallement.com/pictures/files.htm , download the 1963 GOI catalog and look at chapter 5.2, which lists lenses in maximum aperture order, descending. f/1.4 isn't at the top of the list.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
Fast Soviet lenses?

Go here http://www.lallement.com/pictures/files.htm , download the 1963 GOI catalog and look at chapter 5.2, which lists lenses in maximum aperture order, descending. f/1.4 isn't at the top of the list.

Interesting document, thx!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was also some prototype versions like the Rekord-4 0,9/50mm in Kiev/contax mount

P.S. I actually held and had the opportunity to buy the Volna f1,4/50mm lens. ( One of the 64 ever made) The price was insanely low but I did not have enough money on me Smile As I`ve heard it is an unique lens to use, but nothing that is worth paying the money for which it is sold today Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entry no 180 is f0.5 if I'm reading that correctly.... Shocked

And No 213 isn't shabby at f0.85 either...

I doubt I'll ever see one, let alone get to use one in anger...

And I should have scrolled down further, *and* read the post that linked to the document... DOH!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are calculated lenses, it does not mean that they were produced. In fact, most of them weren't...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
These are calculated lenses, it does not mean that they were produced. In fact, most of them weren't...

Interesting. Why do you believe this?

What I know about them is that few were intended to be released to the general public.