Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question about lens compatability in the pentax 67 range
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Question about lens compatability in the pentax 67 range Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I've been loaned a Pentax 67 MLU with meter prism with the 135/4 takumar macro. I want to get a faster normal lens (105/2.4) or a wide angle. When looking at the lenses for the 67, I've noticed that there many different kinds of lenses. For example:

http://www.net-chuko.com/buy/detail.do?ac=2149130706784#

http://www.net-chuko.com/buy/detail.do?ac=2143800299156#

Will both lenses above mount and meter on my Pentax 67?

Thanks for your time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are up to four versions of the Pentax 67 lenses, which are labelled as follows (from oldest to newest):

Super Takumar

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 6x7 (SMC Takumar)

SMC Pentax 6x7

SMC Pentax 67

The oldest type were uncoated I believe, and should be avoided. In many cases the other three types are equivalent in terms of performance, but some have re-designed optical formulas and better performance with the later versions (the 55mm for example). Here is a site with a comparison table for the different lens version:

http://antiquecameras.net/pentax6x7lenses.html

In the case of the 105mm, there is no optical difference between those two versions (the SMC Pentax 67 version is just slightly lighter). For 1/3 of the price I would get that SMC Takumar personally. Hope this helps.

edit: Just saw in the description that it says there's a lot of dirt in the SMC Takumar lens? I guess this would explain the price. In that case maybe go for the newer lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use SMC 67 55mm on 6x7 MLU, so I'm pretty sure there is backward compatibility.

I wouldn't say the 3-coats Super Takumars are to be 'avoided', rather the S-M-C and SMC versions are preferable, due to better coatings.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
I wouldn't say the 3-coats Super Takumars are to be 'avoided', rather the S-M-C and SMC versions are preferable, due to better coatings.

Yes, perhaps I used too strong a word. I'm sure the older lenses aren't bad, but I imagine they probably have less contrast and flare worse than the newer ones. With the prices the SMC versions go for I see no reason not to get them. Just my 2p.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

It's good to know that all versions of 67 lenses will mount on my camera.

Now I'm on the lookout for a nice 105/2.4!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed I made a mistake!

My lens 55mm lens has SMC Pentax 6x7 on the name ring, not "67"! Sorry, I don't know if there is a version of that lens with 67 on the name ring instead of 6x7. I cannot say with certainty that 67 lenses will fit the 6x7, although Pentax did make the 67 camera compatible with the older lenses.

Important note: the finder-meter has to be mounted on the camera before mounting the lens, for the meter to work properly as aperture ring is turned. Likewise, if the finder-meter is removed with the lens attached, unless the lens is removed before re-mounting the finder, the lens aperture will not couple to the finder, and the meter will not respond to changes of lens aperture ring.

EDIT:

I have S-M-C 4.5/75mm and S-M-C 2.8/90mm LS for sale. Please send PM if you are interested in the details. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
I don't know if there is a version of that lens with 67 on the name ring instead of 6x7. I cannot say with certainty that 67 lenses will fit the 6x7, although Pentax did make the 67 camera compatible with the older lenses.

Yes there is an SMC Pentax 67 version of the 55mm. It is an optical redesign and apparently the best performer. Check this site for a handy comparison table of the lens versions:

http://antiquecameras.net/pentax6x7lenses.html

All the different lens versions will mount and function on any Pentax 6x7, 67 or 67II camera.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks atomstitcher!

(for some probably odd reason your handle makes me think of the old TV show "Mork & Mindy" -- Mork was always saying "Nano Nano" Laughing By chance do you work with nano-tech?)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
By chance do you work with nano-tech?

Not in the sense you probably mean, but close. I'm a synthetic organic chemist, in the process of finishing my PhD.