Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wide fast stepless aperture lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Wide fast stepless aperture lenses Reply with quote

Are there any lenses that are 35mm or wider, f2 or faster with stepless aperture? I need one for my Panny G1. I already have a 50 1.4 with stepless aperture. I just need something wider.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by stepless?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
What do you mean by stepless?

It doesen't click at the different f stops, so you can shoot between stops, or for video.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surely any preset lens would fill that function then?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fastest pre-set wide angle lens I own is a sankyo-kohki w-Komura 35, but it has 2.5 as max aperture.

You could also consider declicking another one, it's usually simple and reversable - except you loose the ball.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f2 is asking a lot I think. There are plenty of old preset 2.8 28's (eg the Optomax doing the CrapsLens round but I wouldn't recommend that.) How about the Mir-1 2.8/37, that's a great little lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
surely any preset lens would fill that function then?

Thanks. Smile

I really wasn't thinking about preset lenses, but you're right it would. I wonder what the fastest preset lens made was.

Last edited by walter g on Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
The fastest pre-set wide angle lens I own is a sankyo-kohki w-Komura 35, but it has 2.5 as max aperture.

You could also consider declicking another one, it's usually simple and reversable - except you loose the ball.

Komura lenses are some of my favorite. Very Happy , but I don't have the 35 2.5 yet. Sad
You did remind me of my Fujitar, Fujita made 35 2.5 preset, tho. Smile Just need to order a Exakta M4/3 adapter.

Thanks, I might modify a lens to work. You're right tho, the trick is not to loose the ball. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
f2 is asking a lot I think. There are plenty of old preset 2.8 28's (eg the Optomax doing the CrapsLens round but I wouldn't recommend that.) How about the Mir-1 2.8/37, that's a great little lens.

Thanks. Smile

I haven't tried the Mir-1 yet, but I've wanted to.
The weather here has been really bad. Overcast skies, rain almost every day. By the time I've finished for the day, and the rains stopped it's almost dark. Sad That's what's got me thinking about faster lenses. I've also noticed with lenses with stepless aperture you have alot better DOF control.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
I've also noticed with lenses with stepless aperture you have alot better DOF control.

Exactly. It's fun to use a cam in Av mode and choose the DOF with the aperture ring.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always find a f2 lens and remove the ball bearing (keep it somewhere!).

You'd get something close to a "stepless" aperture.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Walter

The old C-mount lenses were often stepless. I have a couple including the Som Berthiot Cinor 25/0.95 and Kern Macro-Switar 26/1.1.

The Berthiot will cover the MFT sensor but the Switar is a better lens. Both are prone to flare, both suffer from distortion, Cinor much more so in both regards.

Perhaps the best compromise for you would be the Kern Macro-Switar 35/1.4 which I have no experience with. It pops up on ebay from time to time, and will most likely cover the entire MFT sensor. If it's anything like the other Macro-Switars, it will be fantastic.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wide fast stepless aperture lenses Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Are there any lenses that are 35mm or wider, f2 or faster with stepless aperture? I need one for my Panny G1. I already have a 50 1.4 with stepless aperture. I just need something wider.

The Nikon G and most Canon FD to Micro Four Thirds adapters have their own diaphragm rings, which are usually stepless. So, with either of these, you could use a wide range of suitable wide/fast lenses in Nikon or Canon fittings, and make them stepless with no surgery required. Just set the lens's aperture ring to the smallest setting, and then use the ring on the adapter to stop down...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielT74 wrote:
Hello Walter

The old C-mount lenses were often stepless. I have a couple including the Som Berthiot Cinor 25/0.95 and Kern Macro-Switar 26/1.1.

The Berthiot will cover the MFT sensor but the Switar is a better lens. Both are prone to flare, both suffer from distortion, Cinor much more so in both regards.

Perhaps the best compromise for you would be the Kern Macro-Switar 35/1.4 which I have no experience with. It pops up on ebay from time to time, and will most likely cover the entire MFT sensor. If it's anything like the other Macro-Switars, it will be fantastic.

Thanks I will keep an eye out for one. A 35 1.4 would be perfect. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a Leica lens, change the mount (Nikon or Pentax) and forget under the new bayonett the ball bearing for the stop function. Should work with Contax lenses too. You can remove this ball bearing under the original Leica mount as well and use the lens then with any available adapter.

For more information see the Leitax side www.leitax.com

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly wide, but fast and stepless my Kowa 50/0.95 is (c-mount)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
You can buy a Leica lens, change the mount (Nikon or Pentax) and forget under the new bayonett the ball bearing for the stop function. Should work with Contax lenses too. You can remove this ball bearing under the original Leica mount as well and use the lens then with any available adapter.

For more information see the Leitax side www.leitax.com

Wink

Thanks. Smile I will need to figure out how much I can budget for this lens. I might sell some stuff off to raise money. Sadly I think Leica will still be out of my budget. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opticus wrote:
Not exactly wide, but fast and stepless my Kowa 50/0.95 is (c-mount)

I would love to have one, but I really need to have something wider. My 8 Element Miranda 50 1.4 does have stepless aperture and it's not a preset lens. So for now I will use it , but a faster 50 is tempting. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're making a Samyang 35mm f/1.4 that's stepless. Either that, or they're going to release one. I know they already releaseed the stepless 8mm fish-eye for video, and am sure they will do the same for the 35mm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samyang lenses are tempting, but they have too many quality control issues for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
DanielT74 wrote:
Hello Walter

I had another look and it seems that the macro-switar 35/1.4 is an H8 lens so it will have a very small image circle. Sorry...

Maybe these Fujians are worth a try? They are no good in the borders from what I have seen though.

If you let go of the stepless idea, the best you can probably do (without splurging 4-6k on the Summilux 35 ASPH Vers I or II) is Zeiss Contax/Yashica 35/1.4 followed very closely by Leica Summilux-R 35mm. Or indeed the smallish but very very good Pentax 31/1.8 limited. That one could be snagged for under $900 and it's a beauty of a lens albeit without a lovely dampened focusing ring found on the classics.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielT74 wrote:
walter g wrote:
DanielT74 wrote:
Hello Walter

I had another look and it seems that the macro-switar 35/1.4 is an H8 lens so it will have a very small image circle. Sorry...

Maybe these Fujians are worth a try? They are no good in the borders from what I have seen though.

If you let go of the stepless idea, the best you can probably do (without splurging 4-6k on the Summilux 35 ASPH Vers I or II) is Zeiss Contax/Yashica 35/1.4 followed very closely by Leica Summilux-R 35mm. Or indeed the smallish but very very good Pentax 31/1.8 limited. That one could be snagged for under $900 and it's a beauty of a lens albeit without a lovely dampened focusing ring found on the classics.

Thanks. Smile

Sadly nothing in my price range any time soon.I think it's time to sell some stuff off, and save my money for the right lens. Steplees aperture would be nice but not 100% necessary.I think I need to do some research and see which lens would be best for my shooting style, and would compliment lenses I already own.
The cheapest lens that I can think of that matches my needs and compliments lenses I already own is the Nikkor 35mm f1.4. I just don't know how good it is. I think these are running about $500 USD.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your prayers have been heard.

http://photorumors.com/2012/07/16/new-samyang-24mm-t1-5-vdslr-lens-coming-in-august/#comments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kowa-made SLR Magic 12/1.6 is nice. It is native m4/3 so quite convenience. It might be difficult to find though. Rolling Eyes