Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.4 T* Y/C mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.4 T* Y/C mount Reply with quote

I finally had time to test this baby

Most shot are f2.8. I find f1.4 to be a bit soft. I didn't need it with that bright sunlight Wink.

In camera Jpeg, resized with picasa 1600px width. No PP. I always shoot with cloudy WB.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my "take everywhere" lenses.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice presentation , PP makes it even better, but usually not much.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this lens to be one of the sharpest 50mm f/1.4 I have used - even wide open. Did you focus using use "liveview"? If not this could have been the root cause of your wide open sharpness issue. At f/1.4 your depth of field is so small that even minor deviations between your focus screen and sensor plane could result in enough error to cause some out of focus results at max aperture. Your results look great!

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
I find this lens to be one of the sharpest 50mm f/1.4 I have used - even wide open. Did you focus using use "liveview"? If not this could have been the root cause of your wide open sharpness issue. At f/1.4 your depth of field is so small that even minor deviations between your focus screen and sensor plane could result in enough error to cause some out of focus results at max aperture. Your results look great!

Paul

I only tried the viewfinder for now. It's quite hard to get something in focus even at distance.

I'll try to do some more test using a tripod.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I had little fun with lightroom and the Zeiss. Let me know what you think.

#1 f2.8

#2 f1.4

#3 f2.8

#4 f2.8

#5 f2.8

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your shot of the blue Veronica flowers (#4 in the last series) knocked my socks off, awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I see a MGB?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is miss PP, not looks better than any third party fast lens. I have this lens too, but not really touch my heart yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Did I see a MGB?

I must admit I have no clue. That car was parked being me on the ferry boat. I was shy to ask the driver so I waited for him to get far from this nice little car and took so shoot in "spy" mode. I got some more shot, looking trough them I see it's a "MG" something Very Happy. You got me interested, I went on Wikipedia and I think it's a MG midget of some sort.

Pretty nice car if you ask me!

Attila wrote:
I think it is miss PP, not looks better than any third party fast lens. I have this lens too, but not really touch my heart yet.

I did PP on my 2nd set. I see the power of PP now! It's a nice 1.4 lens, but I still like my Rikenon and Yashica 1.4. I still find the Planar "soft" (or crazy hard to focus) wide open.

I do like the Zeiss "3d pop" that everyone seem to be writing about. I got some nice shot of my GF... she's too shy to let me publish here but the "3d pop" is crazy nice Smile

Gerris2 wrote:
Your shot of the blue Veronica flowers (#4 in the last series) knocked my socks off, awesome!

Thanks for the kind comment, I did lot of PP to get that blue/purple a bit over saturated.