Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the best medium fast 300mm prime lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: What's the best medium fast 300mm prime lens? Reply with quote

Hi,
I just saw that my Tamron SP 300mm f5.6 Macro has a small spot of fungus developing on one of the inner elements, hence I am going to let go of it to somebody who can clean it (if you are interested please have a look in the Sell forum on the MFlenses marketplace).
Hence I am on the search for a new good 300mm prime lens. I don't want the bulk of a f2.8 lens, something around f4 is probably a good compromise between speed and weight. Now what are the best options? Ideally I am looking for an M42 or Nikon mount lens.
Best regards,
Diddy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon 300mm f4.5 and Nikon 300mm f4.5 IF ED both are more than excellent and light weight.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila for your suggestions! Especially the latter one looks very interesting as the minimum focusing distance is very good.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can support Attila on that recommendation

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about zuiko 300/4.5 or smc takumar 300/4? I'm waiting for the Sigma 55-200(af) and consider to let go of the zuiko 65-200/4 and might looking some 300mm lens

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tair is good, but some find it heavy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

declan wrote:
What about zuiko 300/4.5 or smc takumar 300/4? I'm waiting for the Sigma 55-200(af) and consider to let go of the zuiko 65-200/4 and might looking some 300mm lens

I was not impressed by Zuiko and bigger than Tamron or Nikon , I support SMC Takumar 300mm f4 fastest from all still not too big and heavy, but bigger and heavier than Nikon or Tamron.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

I sold all Nikon , Tamron , Takumar and kept Tair non snipper version, heavy right, but other ways good than others and much less price.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

I sold all Nikon , Tamron , Takumar and kept Tair non snipper version, heavy right, but other ways good than others and much less price.

Yes, I have the non-spiper version now as it's much easier to use.

THere is a new thread about the Tair that's been posted up today: http://forum.mflenses.com/tair-3s-auto-moto-nature-t50930.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second the Nikon 300mm primes as probably being as fast and light as you can get

Obviously another Tamron would be still lighter and faster than the Nikons but you'd have to settle for f5.6 and I honestly thought the Nikon 300mm f4.5 AI-S I had was superior to the two Tamron 300mm f5.6 lenses I tried (CT-300 F-Series and the 670Au Adapt-a-matic).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have money don't forget Carl Zeiss Tessar 300mm Contax lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 300mm I've got a Tair 4.5, a Soligor 5.5 and I've just got a Chinon 5.6 - and the Chinon is better than it's reputation might suggest.

http://www.pbase.com/image/127711831.jpg ( picture from Woodrim on another topic here at MF http://forum.mflenses.com/chinon-300mm-f-5-6-t31565.html )

It's a strange lens, the tapered style is very much of it's time - 1970's I think. and it's the slowest of the 300's I have. BUT.....it's light, smooth and easy to use - except for the A - M switch that seems to get easily knocked to A when I'm using it. But that's a small distraction. The lightness means I can hand hold this modestly sized lens easily, I'm getting good hand held pictures with this that I simply cannot get with the Tair and struggle to get with the Soligor.
It does have some CA fringing, which is red which makes it more difficult to erase in PP, but it is sharp. It's certainly a lens to consider.