Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 103A as a rugby lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Tamron 103A as a rugby lens Reply with quote

I just thought I would post these rugby photos taken with the Tamron 103A it is the 80-210mm lens.I have found it to be a great lens to take to the rugby (possibly any sport) with its ease of use and lightness being the main factors for using it...plus it takes a decent image.I do PP most of these for my errors of forgetting to change the aperture when the sun comes out/and when its hidden behind a cloud... Laughing (these were taken a few weeks ago)

#1 This one is posted more for the background than the rugby

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of Tamrons match very well with the K200D. My 35-70 is almost "soldered" to it Wink
Nice job done on catching the match episodes. I've been following my son's matchs for years (he plays basketball) and it was a nightmare to focus manyally. Your shots are perfect Smile
I also used many times the Tamron 135mm f/2.5 as well, and the feeling was the same: difficult to focus.
So I value very high your results.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an all time classic zoom...possibly the best value for money of any manual focus lens Shocked

The pics look great with plenty of pop and contrast, great work!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
It's an all time classic zoom...possibly the best value for money of any manual focus lens Shocked

The pics look great with plenty of pop and contrast, great work!

+1, very wel done!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes,I have had years of practice taking rugby photos and I take a huge amount each game so I hope I would have some keepers... Very Happy I also know basketball is a lot faster than rugby union, plus if it is played indoors the lighting can be very hard to focus in and you get movement in the images.I have not mastered indoor basketball images..I would think you would have too pre-focus on the net/or a certain spot and hope for the best... Smile

I am wondering would the Tamron 104A 75-250 be just as good (does anyone have it?)...it would give me that extra bit of reach.I am always searching for that perfect lens....other than an AF lens of course.

I agree about the "pop" with this lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4 is pretty funny Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series. What's with the headgear though? Don't see it worn up here.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: tammi Reply with quote

great sporting shots, great shooter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Nice series. What's with the headgear though? Don't see it worn up here.

It is mainly worn by the boys in the scrum (I think to protect their ears) although it's optional.Different age groups have different rules about wearing it not wearing it.

Even in sport they wear their "pants low" Laughing It is not why I posted the shot....It shows who gets too the ball first (it has to be released by the player on the ground) has the opportunity to use it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting mo, I just wondered if it was something that the dreaded health and safety had decreed. It does make sense, scrum caps do save your ears, they are worn up here but few and far between. I see a lot of sense in getting the kids to wear them, I must have had 3 or 4 concussions playing as a front row forward in my youth. Sad

I've been asked to shoot some of the home games for my town's team, I had a trial attempt to see which lens(es) of mine would do best, I boiled it down to either my 3.5/200 or 4.5/300 Konicas.

This is the moment of a try being scored, with the 200mm, so i either need to get closer to the action or use the 300mm I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extra length would be beneficial...I tend to crop out the uninteresting "bits" and focus on where the action is.I am learning to move and keep up with the play... Very Happy I think being in line with the action helps...but with most games you have to stay behind the safety fence and dodge the other spectators and ball boys

Ian are you are using a film camera?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That shot was on film (TMAX100) as it was part of my 'roll for the day' from May, but I would be using my NEX for future rugby shots.

I could get about 5m closer to the pitch than I was stood, the 200 become a 300 on the NEX and the 300 a 450 so that should give me the reach. I also have the dedicated Konica 2x TC for them if I really need more reach.

I'll maybe have to pick your brains for more tips after I have a go at the next game Smile