Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to distinguish pre-AI Nikon lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: How to distinguish pre-AI Nikon lenses? Reply with quote

Help needed Smile

Some ebay sellers do not include markings like Ai/AiS and non-AI in the descriptions.
I know pre-Ai lenses won't mount on my Nikon, but sometimes I just don't know what I'm looking at...

Is this one pre-Ai, for example? How to distinguish them?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-24mm-f2-8-wide-angle-lens-/150820236424?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item231d962c88

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is Ais.

If you have the serial number you can use the photosynthesis site.

Last edited by sichko on Wed May 23, 2012 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to send you to Ken Rockwell Shocked but Rick Oleson to the rescue
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-153.html
Or Nikon themselves
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5366/~/what-is-the-difference-between-an-ai-lens,-an-ai-s-lens,-and-non-ai-lens%3F

that 24mm for sale is Ais

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this reading can help you. And this image can help you distinguish an Ai-modified lens from the rest.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with Ken Rockwell's site ?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the sources people have linked to are not quite correct. The essential difference--the one that matters the most--is whether or not the back of the aperture ring is a whole uncut surface (non-AI) or whether it's been cut back in several steps to allow clearance for the little tab that sticks out forward from the side of the lens mount at about 2:00 when there is no lens mounted. If there is no space on the back of the lens aperture ring for that tab to sit in without forceful interference, don't mount the lens. On some cameras there's another projection from the mount at 8:00 that senses when the lens has been set to its smallest aperture, and if so the appropriate cutting for that should be on the back of the aperture ring, also.

All of the stuff about rabbit ears having holes, double aperture stop scales, etc, will not actually tell you if a lens will mount properly and function--it has to do with Nikon's own way of making the original AI lenses, but it doesn't cover all of the possible ways to modify a lens later that various people have come up with or done at home.

The single most important issue is whether you're going to bend or break off that tab at 2:00 on the mount it you put on a lens.

All of the stuff about metering and nostrils in rabbit ears is nice to consider, but the most important thing is whether you're going to break your camera by mounting a specific lens. If you aren't, then the other stuff can be got around.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some Helios or Mir lenses available in Nikon mount. Is it pre-Ai?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the aperture ring has a ridge bellow aperture numbers than it's AI/AI-S otherwise its non-AI/pre-AI and has to be modified

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, all Nikon-mount Russian made lenses are AI and can be mounted on all Nikon DSLRs, but only bodies from D200 upwards allow exposure metering.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
AFAIK, all Nikon-mount Russian made lenses are AI and can be mounted on all Nikon DSLRs, but only bodies from D200 upwards allow exposure metering.

The Helios 81M, 53 mm f/2, often appears with a Nikon mount. I've never used one but pictures on the bay show an absence of the characteristic Ai pattern on the aperture ring.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled a bit on that and found this site
http://radojuva.com.ua/2012/03/review-lens-helios-81n-2-50mm/

If the author is right, Helios 81 lenses came in both pre-Ai and Ai mounts. Arsats are newer, so probably they would be Ai.