Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 (Tokina) 90mm f2.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 (Tokina) 90mm f2.5 Reply with quote

Shot with Sony Nex 5n. No PP, resized, (number 3 cropped) wide open

Last edited by aspen on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like number 2! and bokeh in number 3 is too creamy to handle hehe Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number two is lovely!

I don't know what it is about 90 and 95mm macro lenses, but they always seem to be amazing! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjoyed the first a lot. this is heralded as an awesome lens. what are your thoughts?
tony

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
enjoyed the first a lot. this is heralded as an awesome lens. what are your thoughts?
tony

At the moment, it is one of my keepers. It is on the heavy side and I don't have a hood for it, yet. I have the aux 2x macro that takes it to 1/1, but that adds substantially to the weight, and I wasn't overly impressed with it; one gains some magnification but it loses the versatility of a portrait/normal lens. So, the aux is going to collect some dust. Having said all of this, I do need to shoot more with it. I just, the last two weeks, have gotten the Nex, and shot as many lenses as possible. So, none stayed on the camera for very long. And also, there is a bit of a learning curve with the camera itself. But I do like this lens very much. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, and IMHO justifiably, regarded as one of the best macro lenses. I suspect the "weight" issue is because the Nex is so small and light. I use mine on a Nikon DSLR and the weight is not so much of an issue because of the overall balance. You seem to be suffering from flare. Any PP?

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes awhile to get used to a new camera...I was lucky enough to handle Peterqd's Nex 7 and I was overwhelmed just by all the icons on the back screen... Laughing let alone trying to work out how to use it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patrick,
Yes, I think you're correct about the balance with the Nex. It isn't overly heavy for me, at all, but the 2x macro aux weighs almost as much as the lens does alone. So, that combination would be too much, I think. BTW, I got a Polaroid 250 working (battery, bent spring)
Very Happy
hi Mo, yes, there are tweaks and such that I'm discovering as I go. I've been used to simple manual film cameras. I don't even have Photoshop/Lightroom on this computer. I did download Gimp2.8 and processed a few shots.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a wonderful lens. I can only use mine for close-up photography as I do not yet have a NEX where I can adapt the Minolta mount. Finding an M42 version would have been more difficult and costly. I hardly ever use the 1:1 adapter, but that's mostly because I prefer close-up over macro. While the extra light from the f2.5 is helpful with focusing, don't feel obligated to use it; the lens will perform better stopped down a little and still provide the wondeerful bokeh for which it's known (Bokina). I get razor sharp images, but as I said, only in close situations. I look forward to getting a NEX where I can use this lens and others in normal fashion. I'm getting close to making that purchase.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bokeh from the `Bokina'.

I think the processed pics are a bit overdone. Try and go somewhere in between.