Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which Minolta 35mm camera do you recommend?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Which Minolta 35mm camera do you recommend? Reply with quote

I've bought a Minolta 35-70mm f3.5 and Minolta 70-210mm f4 to use with my NEX-5N. I would also like to use them with film but don't own or know much about Minolta 35mm cameras. Which model would you recommend?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get a lot of opinions on this one! Very Happy

Depends on what you want, really. There's the classic SRT201 and derivatives, main issue is they were made for mercury batteries, and many may need a shutter lube by now. Classic cameras, these.

Where I ended up: XE-7 and XE-5, from the Leica era. Vertical travel shutter, large and well built, aperture priority cameras. Era-wise they go with your lenses. Modern battery. My XE-5 is my favorite Minolta. (But then I don't have an X series body...)

But most people will probably steer you towards the later series X-700/X-500 or x-570...or x-370... these are more modern, smaller and lighter, from the 80s well into the 90s.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still own and use my x300 silver version a lovely camera and still works after almost 20 years

Last edited by eddieitman on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Edgar

It depends on what your priorities are. Do you need a camera with auto exposure? If so would you prefer just aperture priority, or shutter priority or even program mode?

For simple Av mode, I'd recommend the XG-M or X-500 (X-570 in US). The X-300 is my opinion has the feel of cheaper quality.
If you want shutter priority too, choose the XD-7 (XD-11 in US). This has a beautiful silky-smooth feel.
If you want program mode choose the X-700.

Any Minolta MF lenses can be mounted on any of these cameras but MC or MD lenses are needed for Av mode and only MD can be used for Tv and P modes.

If you go for the XD-7, make sure it is the later version, where the exposure compensation lever under the rewind handle is pointing towards the prism. The earlier version points outwards, and the leather on these often shrinks and peels.

This is an interesting comparison between the X-700 and X-500. I have both and my favourite for many reasons is the X-500.
http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-x-700-t44247.html.

PM me if need any more help.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Hi Edgar

It depends on what your priorities are. Do you need a camera with auto exposure? If so would you prefer just aperture priority, or shutter priority or even program mode?

For simple Av mode, I'd recommend the XG-M or X-500 (X-570 in US). The X-300 is my opinion has the feel of cheaper quality.
If you want shutter priority too, choose the XD-7 (XD-11 in US). This has a beautiful silky-smooth feel.
If you want program mode choose the X-700.

Any Minolta MF lenses can be mounted on any of these cameras but MC or MD lenses are needed for Av mode and only MD can be used for Tv and P modes.

If you go for the XD-7, make sure it is the later version, where the exposure compensation lever under the rewind handle is pointing towards the prism. The earlier version points outwards, and the leather on these often shrinks and peels.

This is an interesting comparison between the X-700 and X-500. I have both and my favourite for many reasons is the X-500.
http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-x-700-t44247.html.

PM me if need any more help.

Hi Peter

Thanks for your valuable input. I had sort of narrowed my choice down to either a X-500 or X-700 before my post and with the info you have supplied I have bought a X-500 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370623027096?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3818wt_952

This one looks in great condition and I think at a good price.

Which Minolta 50mm prime would you recommend?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can highly recomend the 50mm f1.4 pg, i have the pg and the 58mm pf version and its a great lens

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Which Minolta 50mm prime would you recommend?

My minolta MC Rokkor 1.4/50 PG is probably my favourite 50, among the ones i own.
Really excellent lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
You'll get a lot of opinions on this one! Very Happy

Depends on what you want, really. There's the classic SRT201 and derivatives, main issue is they were made for mercury batteries, and many may need a shutter lube by now. Classic cameras, these.

Where I ended up: XE-7 and XE-5, from the Leica era. Vertical travel shutter, large and well built, aperture priority cameras. Era-wise they go with your lenses. Modern battery. My XE-5 is my favorite Minolta. (But then I don't have an X series body...)

But most people will probably steer you towards the later series X-700/X-500 or x-570...or x-370... these are more modern, smaller and lighter, from the 80s well into the 90s.

Jussi, thanks for your help. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks to be a great camera in beautiful condition Edgar and a nice price too, many congratulations. I think you made the best choice, well done. Out of all my cameras it's the X-500 I brought with me to Australia.

I agree with the 1.4/50 suggestion completely. The one in that link I gave you is the last MD version (Type III) with the aperture ring lock. You won't need that on the X-500 - either MC or MD will be fully functional, but I'd say get an MD in preference, just in case you get another camera in the future. The last version (it just says "Minolta MD" on the ring, no "Rokkor") was a genuine improvement over its predecessors and has 7 elements in 6 groups instead of 5 groups.

This is a useful list of Minolta lenses to refer to:
http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/body_li.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SRT 101/102 are the ones to get. These are quality old-school cameras.
Of these I prefer the 102 because it has a split image in the viewfinder, the 101 just a microprism.

Build quality is first rate. The difference in workmanship is visible even compared to the 201, which is pretty much the same camera.

These were made for heavy use, pro cameras really, though most users were amateurs. So most that one finds are in good shape.

Ok, so they are heavy, and there are no original batteries.
I have used SR44's on these, and it seems to work well enough. Check a "Sunny 16" reading and adjust the film speed if necessary.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to add:- you can buy an adapter to use M42 lenses on Minolta cameras.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an XG-M and an X300S and find them both easy to use. The XG-M has the advantage of exposure compensation, but the photos from both are equal in quality. The X300S is lighter, of course, but I wouldn't call it flimsy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I became a Minolta man by default, I just seemed to acquire Minolta gear in 'bags of stuff' from sales and charity shops. I've got a pair of XD7's and love them, the shutter is so smooth and the build quality is superb. I should have gone Minolta a long time ago ! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
That looks to be a great camera in beautiful condition Edgar and a nice price too, many congratulations. I think you made the best choice, well done. Out of all my cameras it's the X-500 I brought with me to Australia.

I agree with the 1.4/50 suggestion completely. The one in that link I gave you is the last MD version (Type III) with the aperture ring lock. You won't need that on the X-500 - either MC or MD will be fully functional, but I'd say get an MD in preference, just in case you get another camera in the future. The last version (it just says "Minolta MD" on the ring, no "Rokkor") was a genuine improvement over its predecessors and has 7 elements in 6 groups instead of 5 groups.

This is a useful list of Minolta lenses to refer to:
http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/body_li.html

At the moment I can't justify the expense of a 1.4 - bought too much lately! What about the MD 1.7/50 or MD Rokkor 2/45, are they good lenses?

Last edited by DigiChromeEd on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1.7 is a beauty! Can't go wrong there. The 45/2 is another good one - though it doesn't focus quite as close as the 50.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1.4 can be had cheap i know of an Md version for £35 and another for £27 atm will
The pg i got cost under £40 bide your time generaly come attached to a body for same price.
Imho the 1.7 md was nowere near as good as the 1.4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
At the moment I can't justify the expense of a 1.4 - bought too much lately! What about the MD 1.7/50 or MD Rokkor 2/45, are they good lenses?

Edgar, in my view it's worth being patient and waiting for an affordable 1.4 to come along. In the long run I don't think it's wise to buy cheap - I have often ended up buying something better later, collecting lenses I hardly ever use and wishing I'd never bought them. Smile

The 1.7 is a very good lens, it would be OK for you I'm sure. The 2/45 doesn't impress me so much (although I like the focal length). I think it was the basic kit lens for the cheaper camera options.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto all that Peter said.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just look with some patience for a camera with the lens, that is often cheaper then a lens on itself!
Bodies of SRT, XD and XG models, sometimes X700 too can be offered with the 50mm 1.4. SRT can be mounted with a 58mm 1.4, a nice lens too but different.