Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar (Cosina) f3.8 19mm on NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Vivitar (Cosina) f3.8 19mm on NEX-3 Reply with quote

I have a love/hate relationship with this lens, it is a very inconsistent performer, sometimes it produces lovely results with good sharpness, other times it simply sucks. The main issue is edge sharpness, sometimes the edges are really soft, other times they are quite acceptable. Centre sharpness at f8 is good, but overall, this lens can't compete with my RMC Tokina 3.5/17. I only use it at f8 because at wider apertures it's a bit too soft for my tastes. CA is present, especially in the edges but at f8 it's barely visible.

All in all, it's not bad, and is small and light so matches the NEX well. Needs a hood though and you have to take care to keep the sun at your back as it is flare prone.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This series is not bad for it's price level good buy really.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, for it's price it is a good buy, this one in Canon FD was only 25ukp, a Tokina 17mm is 5 times as much or more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian - if you haven't tried it on film, you're in for a real treat. Edge definition is NOT a problem, 'cos there isn't any. At least, not on my Cosina 20mm version. Even on 6x4 inch machine enprints from colour neg film you can see the edges are mushy.

I've also used mine on my Leica M2 using the old Canon FD-Leica adaptor, to do a direct comparison with the 21mm CV lens. Result: CV RF neuf points, Cosina FD, nul points. Aw, well, maybe deux points. BUT, when I did the same exercise on the Lumix, the Cosina seemed relatively closer to the CV 21 - granted, there are effectively no edges thanks to the tiny M4/3 sensor. I also put it on the M8, when the results followed those I got on the M2.

I paid ( it's a while ago) about £17.50 for mine, new in the maker' box. The price included a Cosina 28-70 zoom, which I sold on eBay for about £15. For a lens costing £2.50 net, I can forgive mushy edges Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like my experience Stephen, I didn't post the shots where the mushy edges were apparent, but many shots displayed really mushy edges, on my copy, the right hand side is worse than the left.

I would try it on film but it's in FD mount and I am boycotting FD bodies because I have three mint Canon AE1s and all three don't work, wind-on jammed on all three, so I'm not keen to gamble on another FD body, I have enough junk to dispose of as it is Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="iangreenhalgh1" . . . on my copy, the right hand side is worse than the left.
[/quote]

Yeehaw !!! EXACTLY the same as mine !!! Must be the norm !!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, problem edges on film, even with B&W.
On the other hand its just fine, for me, on my Pentax APS-C sensor.
It is certainly sharp enough wide open in the center.
And its just right as a hyperfocal lens with the DSLR. Set it at f/8 and who needs autofocus ?