Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

C/Y mount part
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: C/Y mount part Reply with quote

What is the L-shaped metallic thing in the Contax / Yashica mount that is attached with two phillips screws.
Not the aperture closing lever or the aperture setting to the camera lever.

Does film camera need it for something?
I took it away because it hit Kodak mirror and now I cant find it anywhere. Embarassed

here on the right side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

61 looks, no answers and I know at least 20 of you own the camera. Mad

Well, my educated guess is that it tells the body that there is genuine auto-aperture c/y lens instead of say m42 and so measures differently.

Mystery is that the body seems to measure auto aperture with or without it? I mean it changes speed when turning aperture ring. Confused

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is different length for 85/2.8 and 28/2.8.
I dont have more cy lenses to check.
My contax rts may not use this function.
Looks like nikkor focal indicator.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Looks like nikkor focal indicator.

Sends focal lenght data to a date back or something?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor ais has different length for different focal. I am not sure which film body use this, and not sure how useful on dslr. Only sony and pentax has build in shake reduction that need these info. I found last time these info in google, trying to disassemble my nikkors for cleaning.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got it!

It is the max aperture indicator.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know.

So removing mean that you can use any aperture manually, or it won't work?
I don't have this tamron adaptall. Does the adapter move the L shape piece depend on the lens attaching on it - just like a TC does?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Good to know.

So removing mean that you can use any aperture manually, or it won't work?
I don't have this tamron adaptall. Does the adapter move the L shape piece depend on the lens attaching on it - just like a TC does?

Removing it shows the little dial on top of the finder scale from 1.4 onwards, be the actual max aperture whatever (my case 2.8 or 2). This is Quartz 139

I don't think that it has anything to do with actual exposure? Unless MM somehow uses it?

edit: or crap if it calculates exposure the "eosian" way. then it is just manual metering Mad
edit edit: it's from 1979, I don't think it has enough calculation power?
edit edit edit: oh my f&%*ing s&%t, it seems to do exactly that different max aperture lenses do have the aperture number lever in a different place when at 2.8 or 16. So it calculates exposure with the help of this little l-shaped metal piece. Which prevents using c/y lenses on my FF Kodak. Evil or Very Mad

I don't have the adaptall any more also, the picture is net picture. Probably one has to manually set it? My Yashica ML 50/2 had for some reason pretty big space for movement.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
I don't thing they have any calculation power in 1979. Personally, I hate bodies that need a battery to operate. Mechanic 'calculation' and exposure is best. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a clue how it meters any more. Confused

The two lenses show same values at 2.8. Must run a test roll.