Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What do you calla tool with two prongs? I need one
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: What do you calla tool with two prongs? I need one Reply with quote

Aaaarrggghhhh!

Just taken one of my Mamiya 135EE rangefinders for a walk, the one with the working selenium cell meter.

I get nearly home to find that the screw which holds the film advance lever in place has run away. I've walked about a mile so the chance of finding it is nil but have decided instead to take the part from the other one. The screw is wound down/up by means of a tool which locates two small prongs into holes in the top of the screw. Don't know where I'm going to find one, especially as I don't know what it'd be called...

any ideas guys?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used some unusual things that have done the job like:- two nails in a piece of wood and metal dividers (be careful of the sharp points)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try it first with a eraser / rubber, press firmly against the cap and twist. If that doesn't work use a small pair of engineers dividers - carefully. You might need to modify the tips of the dividers a bit to fit, use an oilstone. It's slower - more accurate - and will abrade the hard tips of the dividers, a file might not.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: What do you calla tool with two prongs? I need one Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
Aaaarrggghhhh!

Just taken one of my Mamiya 135EE rangefinders for a walk, the one with the working selenium cell meter.

I get nearly home to find that the screw which holds the film advance lever in place has run away. I've walked about a mile so the chance of finding it is nil but have decided instead to take the part from the other one. The screw is wound down/up by means of a tool which locates two small prongs into holes in the top of the screw. Don't know where I'm going to find one, especially as I don't know what it'd be called...

any ideas guys?

Try a hardware/automotive store, there are sets of "tamper-proof" defeating bits that include something similar -
http://www.amazon.com/Klein-32525-32-Piece-Tamperproof-Bit/dp/B0015S4JRG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tool is called a spanner, and an adjustable spanner wrench is probably the tool you want to buy if you plan on disassembling cameras and lenses frequently. Personally I've found that I can usually make do with the tips of a vernier caliper.