Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advice needed on a Pentax 67
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Advice needed on a Pentax 67 Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I was talking about photography to the principal at the school where I work the other day. My principal has a lot of cameras and lenses (Contax T3, Leica Minilux, Contax N1 and a whole lot more). Anyway he offered to lend me his Pentax 67 with the ttl meter prism and the 135/4 macro lens because he says he doesn't use it anymore. So now I've got a new toy to play with for the next few months and I have a few questions.

Do I need to use a tripod even if the shutter speed is up at 1/250? Is it possible to shoot handheld? (My tripod is a cheap manfrotto carbon fiber travel tripod so probably won't take the weight of the pentax 67)

What film do you usually use, 120 or 220? Is there any advantage to shooting 220?

And if you have any other tips on shooting with the Pentax 67, please tell me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

120 due on one trip I rare need 24 frames, and no discount on developing cost in lab ,they charge double price. Now I develop myself all film , but I still prefer 120 film due 220 usage is limited not all camera accept it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see much 220 for sale either, but 120 is available very easily.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my medium format-freak friend always shoot the 67 handheld, and looks like he has no problem with that.
Except that it's damn heavy, but we all know that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a P67 and using it handheld is no problem. It was made to be a hand-holdable 6x7 camera.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you´re good and steady photographer, it might be possible to achieve sharp pictures even at 1/60s with P67:)

220 film has better flatness than 120, but the difference is not an issue unless you want to achieve photographs without compromises

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. In Japan 120 and 220 film is available. Perhaps there's a little more choice for 120. I checked processing prices and 220 is simple twice the price of 120. The fact that 220 is flatter than 120 might be useful as I intend to scan the negs on my v700.

If the weather is OK next weekend, I'll give it a go.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yebisu wrote:
The fact that 220 is flatter than 120 might be useful as I intend to scan the negs on my v700.
sorry for not being clear - it is the same film and there won´t be difference during scanning. the flatness of film is better when shooting, because it lacks covering paper. this leads to better sharpness of pictures, but I doubt you will find difference on scanner like V700. so don´t worry about differences between 120 and 220 film:)

here you can find some more information about this:

http://www.horolezec.cz/blog-engl/index.php?action=item&itemid=5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would aim to shoot handheld at about 1/125 or half that with reasonable success depending on how steady one can hold a camera..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/125 lowest speed to me handheld also with medium format cameras , but I prefer 1/250

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 20 photos per 220 roll in 6x7 camera... Wink

Camera needs to be held firmly as that big mirror swings and bangs into things, otherwise that will shake the camera.

Having carried 6x7 on morning walks for the past two days, I can confirm it is a HEAVY camera compared to 5Dc with big lens. Laughing I made some at 1/60 & 1/125 to see how slow I can get...