Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Blinking macros!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Blinking macros! Reply with quote

So, I took my Zuiko 75-150 zoom and attached a reversed Helios 44M to the end. Used the auto exposure on the OM10 and had a go at my first true macros. First thing I noticed was the depth of focus, or should I call that the "shallowth of focus", which was about a millimetre at just about all apertures. Then I had a brainwave: put the reverse Helios on the end of the Zuiko 50! No real difference to the depth of focus, but now the end glass was just about touching the subject.

As this was just an experiment, I used some 2006 dated Boots Universal 400: Not the best for crystal clear pictures, but I wasn't going to waste any good film on an untried technique.

As you will notice, I have missed focus on the interesting bits and I wasn't expecting circular frames! How the heck do you avoid the vignetting?

Here are the results for you to laugh at, criticise, ridicule or just spray a mouthful of coffee at the screen:

A Daisy

CNV00024 by skida, on Flickr

Not a Daisy

CNV00036 by skida, on Flickr

A Tack on some roofing felt

CNV00030 by skida, on Flickr

A nail hole in the shed

CNV00026 by skida, on Flickr

Any serious suggestions as to how I can better these results would be most appreciated.

Last edited by skida on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"not a daisy" is actually not a bad pic.

Do you shoot digital at all? To me, macro is the perfect occasion for digital, it's unforgiving as hell and cranking out a hundred digital shots is a great way to learn. Also, Live View.

We all understand that gear doesn't make a bad photographer into a good one, however... if you can find a cheap focusing rail it makes nailing the focus on static subjects trivial. Won't help your composition obviously, but greatly simplifies the mechanics of focusing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention: All hand-held.

I only have a digital bridge camera at the moment. I will buy a DSLR when I finally get my insurance payout from when an old bloke killed my bike (and almost me too) with his car, two years ago. At the moment I am enjoying film and I realise I was pushing my boundaries this time. I have two more techniques to try out yet: A Cokin close-up filter and a 3X teleconverter (which I have discovered doesn't affect the minimum focussing distance of the lens).

It's all fun, and I am totally amateur, so I only have to please myself. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with using film for
Macro ! If you can find cheap extension tubes for your Oly it would make life a bit easier but the reversed 50 is a sound approach as well . The advice about getting a focus rail is extremely good advice ! Life becomes much easier Wink.

Macro work is one area I will admit that digital has an upper hand . Focus stacking and the ability to use live view and chimp shots while dialing in an off camera flash are all pretty nice to have .

But I also happen to like the results you have posted here !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skida

Could you change the title of the topic, please?

I mean stars with 'g' at the end is more than obvious and says literally nothing Rolling Eyes

If you wish to express your difficulty with taking such a pictures, you have plenty of other options.

Thank you.

Stan - Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this method years ago. with nikon 200/4, and EF 70-210/4 and some add on front.
vignete appear because the front reverdesd lens is being stopped down. to avoid it you must make it wideopen. the aperture set on the back lens which is the tele lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:

Could you change the title of the topic, please?

Done.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
I tried this method years ago. with nikon 200/4, and EF 70-210/4 and some add on front.
vignete appear because the front reverdesd lens is being stopped down. to avoid it you must make it wideopen. the aperture set on the back lens which is the tele lens.

The Helios lens was definitely wide open, but I can't remember if the focus was set to infinity or minimum. Would that make a difference?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
IAZA wrote:

The Helios lens was definitely wide open, but I can't remember if the focus was set to infinity or minimum. Would that make a difference?

I'd like to know too, so I'll subscribe to the thread. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
IAZA wrote:

no the focus isn't effect on vignete. hmmm I think we have different case here. Maybe diferent lenses perform different vignete.
I cannot do this again as I sold nikon and Canon zoom lenses. I suggest you try different lenses combo, and different aperture set up.
I hope you get nice results
here's my sample with FD 50/1,2 SSC in front and ennalyt 135/3,5 in camera body (Canon 1000D)

this one with Nikon 200/4 + FD 50/1,2 ssc