Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to properly shoot the Solar eclipse?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: How to properly shoot the Solar eclipse? Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the right topic to ask this.

Does anyone know the proper precautions to take when trying to photograph the solar eclipse Sunday? I know you need some type of solar filter. Would something along this line suffice?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baader-AstroSolar-Safety-Film-3-Square-Piece-Make-Your-Own-Solar-Filter-/120915152633?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c271acef9#ht_5397wt_861

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eye Safety During Solar Eclipses (NASA)

Sources for Solar Filters (NASA)

How to Photograph a Solar Eclipse (MrEclipse.com -- a comprehensive web site!)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to hold a magnifying glass up to your eye. Just kidding. Don't do that.

In kindergarten we made camera obscurae to view the eclipse. We punched a small hole in a shoebox or a larger box then lined the bottom with, if I remember correctly, dull-side-up tin foil. That provided a reflective enough surface for us to view the eclipse safely.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baader solar film is the right stuff. Remember to cover the front of the objective - NOT the viewfinder. Unless you place the film in front of the optical system, it will not protect your eyes.

Read all provided warnings and instructions very carefully. Mistakes here could leave you permanently injured.

Baader has provided instructions for constructing a filter holder here (same as the PDF linked in the eBay listing): http://www.baader-planetarium.com/sofifolie/bauanleitung_e.htm

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of these links were great. Exactly what i was looking for. Looks like i have my project for the week.

Ha yes, I remember making those pinhole cameras as a kid. Good times.

How would an nd or Infrared filter fare against the eclipse?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigMack3000 wrote:

How would an nd or Infrared filter fare against the eclipse?

Don't use them, also don't use two crossed polarizers—the problem with all of these is that they pass IR quite freely (especially the IR filter is made to do just that =), so even though the image may look dim enough in the visible spectrum you can still damage your eyes.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking not recommended.

I used two Cokin reddish/bluish graduals crossed and a dark Soligor f6.5 tele lens (this makes a difference since the viewfinder is in wide open mode in most systems). Again, technically these are not OK for this kind of thing, DO NOT LOOK, if you can't resist, at least glance for a moment only and keep some distance. Using the Live View would shield your eyes but who knows how well it could burn the sensor...

You can try fishing for the Sun, without looking, by A mode F9, tilting the pipe and observing the exposure going from 1/100 to 1/2500 and 1/4000. Infinity lock may help but some lenses don't have infinity at the clack. Recommended to prime it then switch to manual.

You will need filters even if you don't intend to look through any viewfinders unless your camera does ISO 10 at 1/10000 s

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woudn't listed to advices with multiple stacked filters.

If you go for a budget solar filter my recommedation is not to use anything else that specialized Mylar foil or Baader foil (baader is a lot better though). They're very cheap as you have allready found.
You can also have special glass filter for sun photography but these are generally more expensive (and I like Baader better) and an H-alpha filter is very very very expensive.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baader astro solar is perfectly safe material. You simply have to be CERTAIN that it stays in front of your lens while your eye (or camera sensor) is taking a look. (Also that nothing comes along an pierces it, like a tree branch or something, since it is the thickness of mylar balloon material.)

VERY good video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiDheBRZrg0

If you are looking for a quick source of some Baader Astro Solar film,
I suggest finding your local Astronomy club and seeing if you can
beseech a kind soul to share/sell a small chunk with you. Many small
clubs have mailing lists or at least a contact person who knows how to
reach members quickly.

This is a GREAT video, but I'd be nervous about a slip-on solution if it was even a bit breezy (which it normally is around here).

I'm thinking of trying this with : Tamron SP 60-300mm with matching 2x converter and Baader Astro Solar filter. (although if I decide to do it and get everything ready I am guaranteeing that it will be too cloudy/rainy to even see the sun that day).
Sad