Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Did Minolta make a compact SLR body?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Did Minolta make a compact SLR body? Reply with quote

Would love to find one if they did, for this lens:

Click here to see on Ebay

I have a Minolta > NX adapter rocketing towards me from China, too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that lens, very nice one, I like the smoothness of the transition from in-focus to out-of-focus and the colours. Rokkor 1.7/50 is sharper but the 2/45 has a very nice character.

The XG and XD minoltas are probably the smallest.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My XD7's aren't big, and they aren't any smaller than a Canon Ae1p or an Olympus OM1, but they are good! Cool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian and Dave, thanks, will look for one of these, then.

Wow, David, I shoudn't have looked at your flickr, sheesh. I'm running home now.

Very nice work! Cool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta XG-1 is very compact.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Minolta XG-1 is very compact.

Thanks, there are a LOT more XG series offered over here than the XD. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both an XG-1 and an X300S. Both are compact, but the X300S is lightest as it is a Polycarbonate body and I use it more than the XG-1.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
I have both an XG-1 and an X300S. Both are compact, but the X300S is lightest as it is a Polycarbonate body and I use it more than the XG-1.

Thanks, the X300s is dead center what I wanted. Something with the size and heft of a point and shoot, but with the Rokkor
pancake, will give me DOF as well. Bought this Chinese clone:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really is identical, apart from the name, and I think you will enjoy it. The only real advantage the XG-1 has in function is the exposure compensation control, but the X300S can achieve the same by switching to manual or adjusting the ISO.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the XG1 is the first camera I bought ( new in 1979 )

not as compact as a OM it's nevertheless relatively small and very light.
Very well proportioned and simple lay out makes it's use very easy and comfortable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:

Oops! I have an XG-M and an X300S. The rest is correct. Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Ian and Dave, thanks, will look for one of these, then.

Wow, David, I shoudn't have looked at your flickr, sheesh. I'm running home now.

Very nice work! Cool

Thank you. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas, nice, I'll keep my eye out for one.

David, you're most welcome!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
That really is identical, apart from the name, and I think you will enjoy it. The only real advantage the XG-1 has in function is the exposure compensation control, but the X300S can achieve the same by switching to manual or adjusting the ISO.

Skida, thanks for the info, seller comes recommended by a friend so don't foresee any issues (hopefully).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all later minolta SLRs are small. not SR-T series (which is bigger), but even my X700 is ok with 45/2.0...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob van Sikorski wrote:
all later minolta SLRs are small. not SR-T series (which is bigger), but even my X700 is ok with 45/2.0

Are not you forgetting my dear XE-1 (XE-5, XE-7)?
Just before the XD and XG models a last big and heavy one.
If you want a small body, keep away from that one. If you want a great Minolta camera, that is one to remind.
Scroll down to see Nessters post: http://forum.mflenses.com/free-wallpaper-open-thread-t41787.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, my mistake Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
the XG1 is the first camera I bought ( new in 1979 )

not as compact as a OM it's nevertheless relatively small and very light.
Very well proportioned and simple lay out makes it's use very easy and comfortable.

Andreas, I found one, though it doesn't have the f1.4 lens, i'm sure results will be OK:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations Bill! I hope you will like it! I had not mentioned that one cannot expect build quality of older, heavier cameras, but that's 'natural' for these later, lighter cameras Wink

The Rokkor-X f1.4/50 is a fantastic lens, but I am sure so is this Rokkor-X f1.7/50 and they are full metal! here some samples: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&message=40794288&changemode=1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas, thanks! I've seen some of Jussi's photos with the f1.7 which had excellent IQ,
so hope for at least passable results. Smile

Forgot to add, nice samples on DPReview, Andreas! I finally decided to order the NEX C3, due
to the big EXAKTA gap in the NX adapters.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Please don't perpetuate this mistake. Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
skida wrote:

Thanks, the X300s is dead center what I wanted. Something with the size and heft of a point and shoot, but with the Rokkor
pancake, will give me DOF as well. Bought this Chinese clone:

Please for the love of God do not get confused and start to think the Rokkor 45mm f2.0 is a pancake lens. Its not even close . Calling it a Pancake is something that started on eBay about a decade and a half ago. Most likely an Idiot seller on eBay used it in his description and other idiots seen it and started to copy it for their own description on the sale of the same lens. Minolta did make a pancake 45mm lens. It was an F2.8 and it was actually less than half the length of the 45mm f2.0 lens.
The Rokkor 45mm 2.0 is actually quite far from being a Pancake. And is obvious if you ever seen a pancake or compared it to other lenses.
Even the Minolta Rokkor-PF 55mm 1.9 lens is smaller than the 45mm 2.0 lens. If you look at any other camera systems and see what they market as a pancake lens, you will see that the 45mm pancake for Nikon or C/Y or Pentax mount is about half the length of the Rokkor 45mm 2.0. The Minolta Auto Rokkor-TD 45mm 2.8 lens is the only lens Minolta ever marketed as a pancake lens.

Top center is the Minolta Pancake and the top right is the large 45mm f2.0. All are Pancake lenses except the top right Minolta 45mm 2.0 lens.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also seen the Minolta MD 50/2 often advertised as an pancake. It's a pretty compact lens (and very good) but indeed also not a real pancake (about the same size as the 45/2)

The MD 50/2 one of the best if the not the best Minolta MD lens. Highly recommended!

Last edited by ForenSeil on Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:09 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the bombast, RDM, I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Thanks for the bombast, RDM, I stand corrected.

Sorry if it seamed like i was blasting ya... Just wanted to save you from misinformation, and any future readers of this thread. It is a pet peeve of mine, because I now can never really do a eBay search for the real 45mm Pancake lens. It is a lens I been wanting for quite some time . I use to read postings from people that would find them from time to time and get them for under a hundred dollars, but that was over ten years ago .. so I have always tried to search for it but I noticed more and more were calling the other 45 a pancake thus messing up my search results..lol But it also made me wonder about their intelligence because knowing other lenses that have been called a Pancake, comparatively it was Quite large, More like a Biscuit Very Happy
So it also tells me the sellers are not really camera knowledgeable, despite selling large volumes of camera gear. I only recently found someone selling a pancake but he wants a ridiculous amount of money for it. Also its not an Auto diaphragm lens; its a preset.

And yea if you like compactness you can also try a the 55mm lens I mentioned. And if you plan on using this as a walking around camera and would like another lens or two to have In your pocket, you should consider the Small (for a telephoto) Minolta MD 3.5/135mm. Its a pretty light and compact telephoto. And if you like zooms look at some Sigma UC zoom models. The are slow but sharp; great for using on the camera during a mid day stroll.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, after seeing it mounted on the camera, though somewhat snub-nosed, is no pancake. Embarassed

Thanks for the tips on the lenses.