Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rokinon - zoom gone wobbly
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Rokinon - zoom gone wobbly Reply with quote

I recently acquired a Rokinon 200mm f4.5 zoom lens with a wobbly front.

The lens was made in Japan, though it might be similar to those of Korean origin. I don't know and, in fact, I know very little about this lens.

My Rokinon lens has nice glass, shows very little use, no abuse, and is close to pristine . . . . . save for the inexplicable wobbliness. When the mount end of the lens is held fixed, the entire front section of the lens, everything in front of the very short mount section, is too free to move about. The front section wobbles freely with perhaps three or four degrees of movement off axis. I've no explanation for it, there being no evidence whatsoever of damage, trauma, etc..

My hope is others might have a copy of this lens and be able to assure me mine should not be like this . . . or perhaps they all are like this. I have considered trying to take the lens apart in effort to learn why it wobbles. I fear, though, I might never be able to reassemble it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guardian ! Shame about your wobbly Rokinon . . . and no, it ought not to be like that. No lens should have a wobble. If it's free from any signs of damage, then it's probably because something was either never tightened properly when it was made, or has worked loose over time, as sometimes does inexplicably happen. I'm no mechanic, and have learned that screwdrivers in my hands can effectively be weapons of mass destruction, but if you have a set of the small 'watchmaker's' ones you might try tightening the visible, external, screw heads. It might help . . .

Tearing it apart would be a brave thing to do. But if you bought it cheaply it could be an interesting exercise. Even if you didn't find the cause and/or couldn't reassemble it, you would at least have something new as a subject for macro photos Very Happy

I doubt it will be a particularly spectacular lens even if put into proper order. From memory Rokinon (or was it Rokunon) was a 'budget price' line.

Anyway, good luck with it - !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post deleted

Last edited by guardian on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Hi Guardian ! Shame about your wobbly Rokinon . . . and no, it ought not to be like that. No lens should have a wobble. If it's free from any signs of damage, then it's probably because something was either never tightened properly when it was made, or has worked loose over time, as sometimes does inexplicably happen. I'm no mechanic, and have learned that screwdrivers in my hands can effectively be weapons of mass destruction, but if you have a set of the small 'watchmaker's' ones you might try tightening the visible, external, screw heads. It might help . . .

Tearing it apart would be a brave thing to do. But if you bought it cheaply it could be an interesting exercise. Even if you didn't find the cause and/or couldn't reassemble it, you would at least have something new as a subject for macro photos Very Happy

I doubt it will be a particularly spectacular lens even if put into proper order. From memory Rokinon (or was it Rokunon) was a 'budget price' line.

Anyway, good luck with it - !

Thank you, Stephen. I appreciate your kind reply to my post. I'm really at a loss here. I have searched the internet on this lens to no avail . . . in an effort to learn if others are having this problem. Matters are confused by fact of this model Rokinon zoom having been made both in Korea and in Japan. The Korean lenses do appear to be second rate. I'm uncertain about the Japanese examples, though they also could easily be of poor quality. Still, a number of internet posts exist from happy and satisfied users of this lens. And nowhere else have I been able to locate anyone reporting my problem with the lens.

Regarding repair:

I am a stupid hamfisted klutz and already have destroyed my quota of lenses for 2012. I managed to wipe out my Zeiss Tessar because I was unaware of correct helicoil reassembly procedure. The lens is now forever locked up. I keep it out in the open, in plain sight, as stark reminder of my lens repair incapacity. So I could attempt to fix the Rokinon, or I could just cast it beneath the tread of a moving bulldozer. Either way, it likely would come out the same. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post photos of the lens front & rear & side (or links to photos). Those with experience opening lenses might have some ideas how the skilled may proceed.

Sounds like your best option is to have the lens repaired by a professional -- that or keep learning! Wink