Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 24/2 photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 24/2 photos Reply with quote

Thought I would share some of the photos taken with this pk/a 24/2 Vivitar I recently bought. From the serial number I believe this is a Komine version. I'm quite happy with the lens in general. As with all other mf lenses on NEX, focussing in low light is really painful.

#4 (This is the in-camera HDR I attempted)

#8 (wide open gives a very soft look)
[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use an LCD viewer and you will don't have focusing issue anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks nice and sharp. must be great to have such a fast ultrawide. how is the distortion?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
looks nice and sharp. must be great to have such a fast ultrawide. how is the distortion?

Thanks! Apart from the flare issues, it is quite good. I unexpectedly got this lens with a body and am really happy with it. There is some barrel distortion but I've not tested it properly yet.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received mine today in Nikon mount. Focus infinity works well.
Little soft @f2 but it gets better when closed down to f2.8 or f4.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost2501 wrote:

Congrats!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost2501 wrote:

Great, you will surely enjoy it, looking forward to your samples.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the one I had on full frame:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=39717&view=next

I found it useless wide open but then there could be copy variation Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

Nope, wide open it is quite soft and gives a special "dreamy" (like #8 above) look according to some! But stopped down it is pretty good. I now have two and they (both komine made) are same.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhargav wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Nope, wide open it is quite soft and gives a special "dreamy" (like #8 above) look according to some! But stopped down it is pretty good. I now have two and they (both komine made) are same.

Thanks for clearing that up and for providing samples on the Nex Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some samples

Wide open (f2)

f2.8

f4

f8

I know, flares Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your samples. You've got some interesting bokeh in 3 &4. Also the ones at f8 look really sharp. Which camera did you use btw?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow those last samples are very vivid, the poppy looks great Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhargav wrote:
Thanks for sharing your samples. You've got some interesting bokeh in 3 &4. Also the ones at f8 look really sharp. Which camera did you use btw?

Nikon D7000 but I'm now hesitating to buy a more "compatible" with old lenses camera.
So, I have the opportunity to buy a NEX-3 with crappy Olga lens for 130 € or a 5 months old NEX-7 with its 18-55mm for 899 €.
Buying the expensive one would push me to sell my Nikon gear, which I think I'll regret for sport & kids shooting.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost2501 wrote:

So, I have the opportunity to buy a NEX-3 with crappy Olga lens for 130 € or a 5 months old NEX-7 with its 18-55mm for 899 €.
Buying the expensive one would push me to sell my Nikon gear, which I think I'll regret for sport & kids shooting.

Hi Ghost, thanks for posting your samples. Out of 100 lenses that I own, this is the only 24mm, so I was very interested in seeing shots taken with it.
I haven't used mine yet, though, I will soon. I purchased a Nex 5n a few weeks ago for around $550 (440 Euro) body only (Amazon.com). But I've been traveling and its still in the box at home. When I get home in a few weeks I will post some samples with this combination, so you can compare. Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not keen on the shots where it's F2.8 and wide, but stopped down it looks ok, but this defeats the point for such a fast lens..

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAMOI as the Vivitar 28mm f2 is also soft wide open, it would seem Vivitar pulled a fast one on the public to buy their lenses when Vivitar knew at F2..... their lenses wasn't much use.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
AAMOI as the Vivitar 28mm f2 is also soft wide open, it would seem Vivitar pulled a fast one on the public to buy their lenses when Vivitar knew at F2..... their lenses wasn't much use.

Yes, but perhaps in the manual focussing era, these were meant to assist the photographer in helping achieve focus smoothly with an optical viewfinder (in low light etc)? And then they would stop down and take a shot? So they were not meant to be used as such wide open, I'm just guessing, but would agree that wide open it is very soft.

The other point is also that if I buy say a 24/2.8 then wide open @ 2.8 it might again be soft so I will have to stop down at f4 or further to take a decent shot. In this case @f2.8 it improves significantly and further down even more so maybe that is also a point.

Quote:
Nikon D7000 but I'm now hesitating to buy a more "compatible" with old lenses camera.

If I were in your shoes, I would first experiment with the NEX-3 and then replace the Nikon (if needed) once I'm comfortable. You can always keep your adapters and at the price you won't lose much if you resell it when you want to upgrade.