Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help me identify my grandfather's camera... edit: found!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Help me identify my grandfather's camera... edit: found! Reply with quote

Among the ton of my grandfather's negatives and glass plates I inherited, there's one showing his camera case. The clues:

* it's a 35mm camera

* the shot was taken in June 1941 (the rest of the image shows my mother as a newborn)

* some of his negatives are in cardboard envelopes with the ad of a local store selling Leica and Contax

* the case in the shot below

Any ideas what camera he used?

Last edited by ludoo on Wed May 16, 2012 7:38 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing a folder, plus there's a sizable opening at the bottom for something... Retina I or Retinette:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s-demir/4865350815/

Kodak Retinette II by Süleyman, on Flickr

the opening would be for the dof scale

Kodak Retina I by Süleyman, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On bottom a big leak like fit into Robot button, on voigtlander 6x9 cases I also saw big leak for film transport button.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I did not think of a folder camera, but it makes sense given the limited depth of the front cover.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On second thoughts, the inside of the top case has what looks like an indent from the accessory shoe, so camera with protruding viewfinders are out of the question.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss Ikon certainly used that style of case with the missing bottom.

I have one for my Ikonta 35

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks live a bottom-lever-wind Retina to me.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an idiot: this morning I remembered I bought a Retina II case from a flea market a while ago, found it in a drawer and... it's a dead match for the one in my grandfather's picture!

Browsing manufacturing dates for the specific ii models, and comparing their top with the indentations on the velvet, I think I can safely assume his camera was a Retina IIa type 150, built from 1939 to 1941. What's more, of the three lenses offered as options on the IIa, I think he probably went for the most expensive one, the 50mm f/2, as many of his pictures are taken inside with ambient light only, and none of them show signs of motion blur. Which, given the relatively low speeds of film at the time (he used Agfa Isopan ISS), would mean he either had a rock steady hand, a fast lens, or both.

Thanks to all who contributed, now I only need to find a IIa type 150 at a decent price!

Last edited by ludoo on Wed May 16, 2012 8:56 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a really funny story Laughing

I wish you luck in finding a nice Retina camera to fit in the case!
I am waiting for a humble Kodak Retina 1a, at my brothers address now; he told me it is a nice little camera.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
That is a really funny story Laughing

I thought it was a Retina!!Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, and yes it's a satisfaction to finally know what camera he used. What's funnier is, I have some shots of my two aunts as kids on the balcony of their apartment, which is the same one where my parents live now. I should convince my two aunts to come and take their picture, 70 years later, in the same position, same place, same camera. Smile

A pity the type 150 is one of the rarer Retinas, only 5000 were made and many did not survive the war. BTW, I also got confirmation half an hour ago from Chris Sherlock, who is one of the authorities on Retinas.