Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtlander Bessa with Skopar 3.5/105, Ilford Pan F 50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Voigtlander Bessa with Skopar 3.5/105, Ilford Pan F 50 Reply with quote

I bought a 1930s Bessa cheap, it was in working condition but a bit rough, plenty of rust and the lens had some fungus, also the lens/Shutter was loose and wobbled a lot. I cleaned it up, got rid of the rust, repainted the inside with matt black car spray paint, took the lens elements out and cleaned them in ISO, fixed the wobble and re-stuck the loose leatherette so it's in not bad shape now. It has a Skopar 3.5/135 in a rim set Compur with 1/200 top speed and a simple finder, it's the one on the left:

Works pretty good, these were on a tripod at f22, 1/25, a very windy day and just before sunset so the light was very strong from the right, a couple of shots on the roll were ruined by flare so I think she needs a hood, four of the shots were ruined by camera shake caused by the wind. Ilford Pan F 50 expired 2005, souped in Paterson FX-39 1:9 for 6.5mins at 20C. Pan F 50 isn't great imho, the grain is worse than I expected for a slow film but it does come out nicer in FX-39 than it does in RO9. The Skopar in this camera is very sharp, in the full size 3200dpi scan you can see all the twists in the ropes mooring the boats clearly.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, did you estimate distance or cheat like I do and use accessory rangefinder?

Hummm, you cheated like Attila does and just shoot infinity pix. Laughing Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I cheated, lens set to infinity, f22, that way it's all in focus Smile

This was just to test the camera and my refurbishment work so I was lazy and shot infinity, I need to get some sticky backed velcro so I can mount my RF on both my Bessas.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so you do have an RF that reads in meters.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to check what my RF reads in but this Bessa is marked in feet!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let hope it's the same, doing conversions out in the field would be a drag! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly is, nearly all the rangefinders on ebay UK are in feet...

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news is my Mastra RF is in feet and so are both my Bessas. I bought some sticky backed velcro to mount the RF and it's useless, wobbles around like hell. Sad

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never mount external RF I use it simple from my shirt pocket.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super results~

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try that Attila, cheers.

Thanks Nesster, going to try my other Bessa today, it's identical, just has the 3.5/105 Voigtar rather than Skopar.