Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Old or new, plus manual lens question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Old or new, plus manual lens question Reply with quote

Hi

I have an old Olympus 50mm f/1.4 (I think from 70s) that I use with a Canon DSLR. I have a couple of questions.

1) I really like this lens, but it has an issue of the focus ring being really resistant. I'd also probably have to return it eventually. So I'm interested in buying another MF 50mm f/1.4 lens. I will get either another like this one or a Nikkor. Is the focus ring always resistant on this model or is this something that can be fixed? Are some lenses more resistant than others? I've tried a friend's new AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 lens and it felt pretty cheaply made and the focus ring was too loose IMO.
Another thing I like about this lens is that the focus ring is turning a lot to focus. This gives more control to the exact spot. Some new lenses have the focus ring turn very little. Are the old Nikkor lenses similar (such as the AI and AIS ones)?

2) For a 50mm f/1.4 lens the older manual ones are much cheaper than decent-good new ones (at least here). I also want to add a wider lens and longer lens (e.g. 85mm and <30mm). But older manual lenses other than 50mm are actually pretty expensive and can cost as much as new ones. I really need lenses with an apareture f/1.8 or bigger. So I'm thinking of getting the Canon 28mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8 instead of older manual lenses. I found through the last year I really can't compromise with a smaller apareture, but since photography is just a low priority hobby, I won't get an expensive f/1.2 lens or an expensive old f/1.4 manual one. Are there any MF lenses with an apareture that is not smaller than max f/1.8 and cost significantly less than new ones?

Thank you

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

With reference question 2, fast old lenses were even more expensive in their day than today's AF equivalents, so many are still pricey and desirable. Especially those that will mount on a Canon EOS with an adapter.

However, there are some cheaper options, and I wouldn't get too hung up on the difference between f/1.8 and f/2.0:

* Kiron / Vivitar - 28/2
* Samyang 24/2.4 (new lens)
* Samyang 35/1.4 (new lens)
* Mir 24H - 35/2
* Super Takumar 35/2
* Nikkor non-ai 55/1.2
* Samyang 85/1.4 (new lens)
* Nikkor 85/1.8 or 85/2
* Olympus OM 85/2

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The zuiko 50/1.4 is not particulalrly prone to the focusing problem you are having. Just buy another one, sell yours. They are very cheap and abundant. Any of the later models are excellent. No need to try to find one of the latest 1.1M serial number copies.

JJ

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

Re the Olympus lens, I'm borrowing it so I have it for free but I can't sell it. I might have to return it and it's easier to buy a Nikkor instead. Is the focus ring on a Nikkor (like a 50mm f/1.4 AI or AIS) relatively smooth and has long "travel" (using an engineering term since I have no idea how it is called, I hope it's clear)?

By the way is there a difference between non-AI, AI and AIS that is relevant to someone who is using it with a Canon DSLR?

Thanks again

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Old or new, plus manual lens question Reply with quote

clarnibass wrote:

I've tried a friend's new AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 lens and it felt pretty cheaply made and the focus ring was too loose IMO.

The lens may feel "cheaply made" but maybe it's relatively cheap to buy. Which lens are you talking about ? The AFD certainly has a very lightly damped focus ring. Focusing is driven by a motor in the camera body.

Quote:
Another thing I like about this lens is that the focus ring is turning a lot to focus. This gives more control to the exact spot. Some new lenses have the focus ring turn very little. Are the old Nikkor lenses similar (such as the AI and AIS ones)?

See Roland Vink's site for details of the focus throw for individual lenses.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarnibass wrote:

By the way is there a difference between non-AI, AI and AIS that is relevant to someone who is using it with a Canon DSLR?

Some non-Ai lenses will not mount on EOS without surgery.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the 3 50 1.4 i have the Zuiko has the smoothest focus ring so it must be your copy that is faulty somehow.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, Nikon lenses suffer more than most from lubrication aging problems. I use mostly old Nikon glass, and have "solved" the problem by buying only the very cheapest ones I can find, then immediately sending them off to get them serviced. The result is a really clean lens that functions perfectly, for a bit more than the normal used price for one that doesn't.

You'd be surprised how cloudy the inside of a lens can get in 20 or 30 years--the cleaning, which includes glass as well as the lube, really does something real for the performance of old glass, and now I consider it essential.

The Nikon 50/1.4 focus throw looks to be around 210 degrees (I don't have a protractor at the moment), a nice distance, I think--not twitchy at all. Having had Oly stuff previously, I think all Nikon lenses are too big, but this particular one is probably the most compact in the Nikon line relative to the length and speed, next to some of the Series E lenses. (I often walk around with the really tiny 50/1.8 Series E in my pocket because it's so small.)

Last edited by mdarnton on Sat May 19, 2012 1:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
clarnibass wrote:

Some non-Ai lenses will not mount on EOS without surgery.

Can confirm this is the case with full frame models, but not found any issues on crop. Would be keen to know if there's any to avoid on crop Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, don't get sucked into the Nikon 50s other than the 1.4. The slower ones test really great in the center, which is how they got their reputations, but all of that goodness disappears as you move outwards. I was surprised how bad they test out there.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdarnton wrote:
By the way, don't get sucked into the Nikon 50s other than the 1.4. The slower ones test really great in the center, which is how they got their reputations, but all of that goodness disappears as you move outwards. I was surprised how bad they test out there.

Not necessarily. The 50mm f/1.8 Ai/Ai-S (oldest all-metal version, same barrel as the f/1.4) is actually pretty damn good. From what I've read, it is equal to, if not slightly better than, the f/1.4 in regards to sharpness.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, "they" say that. My own tests definitely indicate they're wrong. I have had three of them, trying to find the one that everyone brags about. Finally I just caved and got the 1.4. People also say nice things about the f/2, and I had one of those, too. The 1.4 is better. There is an honest difference in quality to account for the 3x or 4X difference in what they cost new. Even today, the $100 50/1.8 is good enough for a $100 lens, but it's certainly no match for the $350 f/1.4 lens.
Also:
http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/216-nikkor-af-50mm-f14-d-review--lab-test-report?start=1
http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/218-nikkor-ai-s-50mm-f18-review--lab-test-report?start=1

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdarnton wrote:
Yes, "they" say that. My own tests definitely indicate they're wrong. I have had three of them, trying to find the one that everyone brags about. Finally I just caved and got the 1.4. People also say nice things about the f/2, and I had one of those, too. The 1.4 is better. There is an honest difference in quality to account for the 3x or 4X difference in what they cost new. Even today, the $100 50/1.8 is good enough for a $100 lens, but it's certainly no match for the $350 f/1.4 lens.
Also:
http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/216-nikkor-af-50mm-f14-d-review--lab-test-report?start=1
http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/218-nikkor-ai-s-50mm-f18-review--lab-test-report?start=1

The funny thing about the Photozone test of the 50mm f/1.8 Ai-S is.. it is absolutely redundant. They tested the 'pancake' version, which along with the AF versions, is derived from the Series E optic.. they are all identical optically.

What people often miss is the fact that up until recently (release of the AF-S version), there were actually two different 50mm f/1.8 optical designs. The first design, manufactured 1978-1985, is the better one.

First version left, second version right; note that the front element of the first version is wider...

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have to return the Olympus I would get either another Olympus 1.4 or a Nikkor 1.4. I really want the bigger apareture for the things I shoot (I'd get a 1.2 lens if photography was a higher priority).

Re the Olympus lens focus ring, I dissasembled it as much as I could to check. At some point I found stuck screws and although I deal with stuck screws often at my job (repairing woodwind instruments), the one thing I don't have is a really tiny Phillips head screwdriver... but I was able to fix most of the problem. I think it can be even smoother but the main problem is gone (even used a specialized woodwind instrument repair tool that was perfect for fixing it!).

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarnibass wrote:
Re the Olympus lens focus ring, I dissasembled it as much as I could to check. At some point I found stuck screws and although I deal with stuck screws often at my job (repairing woodwind instruments), the one thing I don't have is a really tiny Phillips head screwdriver... but I was able to fix most of the problem. I think it can be even smoother but the main problem is gone (even used a specialized woodwind instrument repair tool that was perfect for fixing it!).

The focus helicoid can be accessed after one unscrews the front name ring. Part of the barrel can then be removed, revealing the helicoid.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really sure of the terms (it's my second language) but basically I had to start from the back and remove each part before I could remove another part. At some point the screws were stuck hard and I didn't have an exact screwdriver to remove them, so couldn't remove anymore parts. I could fix the main problem though.