Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ni-MH batteries and flash
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Ni-MH batteries and flash Reply with quote

Mecablitz 45 user guide wrote:
The battery housing must not be fitted with NiCad batteries! The contacts of the battery housing are only intended for alkaline manganese batteries.
The lower resistance of NiCad Batteries means that more current can flow, and this can damage the flashgun. (..)

Any idea if Ni-Mh could be used?
I've been using them with modern flashes.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All are used batteries.

Duracell Aerocell Super-Alkaline 0.28 ohms.
Duracell ProCell 0.26 ohms.
Varta Alkaline 0.30 ohms.

Panasonic Ni-MH 0.25 ohms.
Tecxus Ni-MH 0.24 ohms.

Does this make a difference?

edit: corrected the ohms, damn USSR meter. Embarassed

Last edited by kansalliskala on Tue May 08, 2012 8:42 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both NiCa and NiMe on older flashes.

What to be concern is the high ampere rate of these batteries. Full power continously after 30-40 shots will melt down the battery compartment and deformed metal springs. These parts need to be replaced. I also had modified several of mine with thicker internal electrical cable or, if place is problem internally, added few more thin cables.

I have been used these batteries with maximum 1/4 power. No problem so far, as long as you aware of heat problem.

Now, if i need power, I use many flashes, bundled with cheap eby radio receivers, but still at 1/4 power. Old manual flashes cost me approx 10euro a piece.

edit: high Ohm low ampere rate

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Full power continously after 30-40 shots will melt down the battery compartment and deformed metal springs.

Ok, thank you. The basic problem is this, I can deal with that, just turn it off when the handle starts to feel too warm.

I was afraid it would disturb the electronics or explode the capacitors which is not nice when they are just about where my left eye is. Shocked

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ka7oei.com/nicds.html

Here is something but I don't understand the ohms and amperes, I studied to be a mechanical engineer. Confused

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site has some good hints on rechargable cells.

I have 50+ AA NiMh 2300 mAh and use them with flashes.
My charger is per cell, designed for NiMh.
I also nummerize 4/6 batteries as a set (a1, a2, a3, a4, b1, b2...) and always keep them as a set for ease maintenance/charge/discharge. I may depend on these cells one day.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recommend a good charger with NiMH's, this is the one I use:

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewitem.asp?idproduct=407

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Recommend a good charger with NiMH's, this is the one I use:

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewitem.asp?idproduct=407

Shocked $89.85

I got most of my Ni-MH:s from a local store for a give-away price. Something like 1,50 € for a charger and 4 AA-s. But they are probably not the best quality. I've usually tossed the chargers away and kept just the batteries.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MAHA does both AAA and AA batts, if that lessens the sting. Having a smart charger that will drain out
whatever residual power is left before recharging is a definite plus. Using a cheap charger, my batteries were
crapping out in half the time as they do now.