Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

helios 44-2 late version (44-3 barrel)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: helios 44-2 late version (44-3 barrel) Reply with quote

1205091 by noobographer, on Flickr

Not your typical swirly bokeh shot, in fact, no bokeh!
Only one shot at the moment, but I will try take more and update this thread when I do.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great sharpness. There's much more to the Helios than swirlies.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 44-2 has become my walkabout lens on the NEX, it really is a joy to use on this camera. Cool

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the helios is a very nice lens Smile

In fact I plan to start a collection of the pre-set helios 44's! I find it very interesting simply because there are so many variations.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green market in edinburgh right ? i recognise the white hart inn Smile
Nice colours and sharpness.
What an incredible beautiful city, i loved it..

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot.
It's fantastic that corners are sharp as the center!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
the 44-2 has become my walkabout lens on the NEX, it really is a joy to use on this camera. Cool

Indeed it is, I just got a new one with 00 serial from Attila, can't wait to try it out, I'm going to compare it to my 44M-4 (best of the 5 or 6 I've had) and my Biotar with red T. I figured every collection needs a Helios-44 so shy not make it a rare 00 serial one that was reserved for party leaders etc.

BTW, My walkaround lens on the NEX is still the Jupiter-8, I'm in love with Sonnars.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Helios 44s are about the best bang for the buck that is available on ebay Smile

In my subjective opinion, I see little change in center sharpness between early and late versions. Corners tend to be better in the late versions though.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotomachi wrote:
The Helios 44s are about the best bang for the buck that is available on ebay Smile

In my subjective opinion, I see little change in center sharpness between early and late versions. Corners tend to be better in the late versions though.

I had this very same lens but unfortunately compared to my 44-M the corner sharpness was not very good, which proved very disappointing, certainly not at the same level as these pictures show, which are very nice by the way Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I personally find the later helios's a bit "boring" maybe its just because I don't like the auto aperture lenses.
And yes, Grassmarket in Edinburgh, I agree, this city is lovely, though at the moment its weather isn't so nice... The lens is sharp, but to be fair it has been stopped down for this shot, I think this was at 5.6 or so.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Indeed it is, I just got a new one with 00 serial from Attila, can't wait to try it out, I'm going to compare it to my 44M-4 (best of the 5 or 6 I've had) and my Biotar with red T. I figured every collection needs a Helios-44 so shy not make it a rare 00 serial one that was reserved for party leaders etc.

The serial numbers with "0" at the start are said to be early versions from a guy on the FSU photo forum and nothing to do with being reserved. I'm inclined to believe this as he used to work for KMZ; otherwise, there's a lot of reserved lenses about as every man & his dog seems to have one (I have 2).