Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any comparisions/preferences on Pancolar vs. Ultron?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Any comparisions/preferences on Pancolar vs. Ultron? Reply with quote

Anyone directly compared the Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50mm 1.8 and the Carl Zeiss Ultron 50mm 1.8 and have a preference?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean original CZ Ultron for Icarex or later version of CZ/Rollei Planar 1.8/50 i.e. Voigtlander Color-Ultron 1.8/50?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original that was sold with the Icarex.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I have experience only with the later Color-Ultron version, but I found it much better than Pancolar. On pair with Contax Planars and even latest 1.4/50 ZE Planar. And wide-open center sharpness is probably even better then all other.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Rollei Planar 1.8/50 and while it was good, I wouldn't call it better than the Pancolar, I kept the Pancolar and sold the Rollei, largely because I liked the character of the Pancolar and the Rollei was sharp but had little else going for it in that I like my lenses to have some character to the images they produce.

I think it's pointless to try to chose between very good lenses like the Planar, Pancolar, Biotar, Tessar etc based on other's feelings, you need to explore them yourself and keep those which touch your heart because the differences are often subtle and it largely boils down to very small factors. For instance, I have a Pancolar and a Biotar and couldn't say one is better than the other, they are different and both special in their own way.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I had a Rollei Planar 1.8/50 and while it was good, I wouldn't call it better than the Pancolar, I kept the Pancolar and sold the Rollei, largely because I liked the character of the Pancolar and the Rollei was sharp but had little else going for it in that I like my lenses to have some character to the images they produce.

I think it's pointless to try to chose between very good lenses like the Planar, Pancolar, Biotar, Tessar etc based on other's feelings, you need to explore them yourself and keep those which touch your heart because the differences are often subtle and it largely boils down to very small factors. For instance, I have a Pancolar and a Biotar and couldn't say one is better than the other, they are different and both special in their own way.

Nicely put!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, credit where credit is due though, it is something Attila taught me - to keep the lenses which touch my heart.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, it's personal choice. I like the Pancolar too (due to different color rendering), but on digital FF I found Planars technically better lenses than Pancolar. Better center sharpness wide-open, higher contrast and overall more uniform field and corner sharpness at middle apertures.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss Ultron 50/1.8 is a beautiful lens. With a lot of help from a friend, we actually converted it from the bayonet mount to M42 having cannibalised a mount from a Tessar. I haven't had the Pancolar but from what I've seen of the 50mm, the Ultron has something very special - beautiful colour rendition, amazing bokeh and transition from focus to OOF. Just a special rendering. It's also very sharp wide open at least in the center.