Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bessa L, M39 Heliar 15mm F4.5, mostly expired Superpan 200
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Bessa L, M39 Heliar 15mm F4.5, mostly expired Superpan 200 Reply with quote

Again this is more a test than serious photography, but maybe someone is interested Wink
The camera- lens- viewfinder combo is very small so I was able take it everywhere with me Smile
I took these shots within 2 days.

Negatives were digitalized from a cheap light table by NEX-5N, Rodagon R 75/4 @ about 1:2, automatic exposure, JPEG, DRO/HDR off
PP was fast inversion with IrfanView, cropping and "automatic" button in Lightroom 3, not more - I forgot to remove the slight color cast but white balance of the NEX was good enough.

Of course there is much more possible with PP but first I think the light source and the exposure are more important to improve first.
This was also my first try of my new Repro-Rodagon Smile . The pics were shot at 1:2 and cropped afterwards. Resolution is already at 1:2 quite impressive and it should be theoretically improved lot at 1:1. (My next try will be at 1:1,5 - more magnification would crop my pics as the NEX has only a 1,5x crop sensor)

One Roll Superpan 200 (expired about 1 year ago)
17min in 1+50 Rodinal at 20°C
Film was exposed at 166 - 100 ISO. The lower ISOs produced much better results. That's maybe due expiration or digitalisation method as usually 17min development should be enough to reach ISO 200. Light was metered TTL so it's not a problem of transmission of the lens.

(this is min. focus distance, ~30cm)

(This is a crop from a crop, this lens is very sharp especially in center)

1/30s or 1/15s, lowlight - this lens as a lot visible distortion when it's used wrong

Some more shots with
Ilford Pan 50 (expired about 10 years ago)
11min, Rodinal 1+50, 20°C
Film was exposed at ISO 33-42

Now the results got very weird! The film overlaped a lot in the Bessa L! Only the first 3-5 shots of the roll whole roll were usable Crying or Very sad

PS: Kenrockwell said this lens has low distortion. But I fact I see a lot distortion. On film even more than on NEX. But hey, practically every affordable fullformat lens below 18mm has visible distortion, right?

Last edited by ForenSeil on Fri May 11, 2012 10:40 am; edited 8 times in total

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thats pretty cool, that you did the whole process on your own like that is great. the lens is amazing too, ive seen 28mm's with more diatortion! i cant wait to use my newly arrived cv15 on my bessa t....

how did you get the 'negative' film image into a 'positive' state?
tony

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You handle this lens very well, the distortion produced by the lens adds nice character to the images. 1,3,and 14 are the best of the group.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for share, great pictures

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good results!
Like 2,3, 12,13,14... etc. Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:

how did you get the 'negative' film image into a 'positive' state?
tony

As said above batch inversion of the JPEGs with IrfanView and then the "Automatic" button in Lightroom to adjust contrast- and black leves a little Wink I'm sure you can get muuuch more out of the same negs with the same method with PP by hand and closer distance of the lens to the negatives as the Repro-Rodagon I used.
I did not remove the color cast and I also forgot to "reflect" (I don't know a better English word for it) some of the pics (look at the beer bottle in #9 Very Happy)

Overall it took a lot less time to digitalize and post process two 135 rolls than it would take to digitalize 12 negs will my Epson V500 (which is one of the faster and better flatbed scanners) at a lower resolution (but with better contrast straight out of scanner though).

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks FS, i never heard of IrfanView, i will google it. i cannot manage scanners at all, so i have been thinking about this kind of setup. what lens would you recommend for use with 2x crop factor of m4/3? must it be an 'enlarger' lens, or could i use a good 35-50 set to small
aperture like f8-16?

EDIT just found out irfanview is windows only! arghh! i use apple...
tony

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
thanks FS, i never heard of IrfanView, i will google it. i cannot manage scanners at all, so i have been thinking about this kind of setup. what lens would you recommend for use with 2x crop factor of m4/3? must it be an 'enlarger' lens, or could i use a good 35-50 set to small
aperture like f8-16?

EDIT just found out irfanview is windows only! arghh! i use apple...
tony

IrfanView is a tiny, fast and raw-compatible picture-viewer with some simple extras like sharpening, cropping, resizing etc. and a very good batch function

"ImageWell" is the closest counterpart on Apple to IrfanView as far as I know. But I'm not sure if it has an inversion-function.

Anyway I know that you can also invert the gradation curve in Lightroom by hand which does the same trick but takes a little longer. I know that there are also presets for inversion in Lightroom downloadable.

I never tried a 2x crop sensor but I would recommend to look after any good macro-lenses which are able to reach at least 1:2 magnifaction natively (Minolta Macro Rokkors, Carl Zeiss Macro S-Planars, etc.) or good medium-format enlarger lenses (Rodagon 80mm/105mm etc., they perform usually visibly better at 1:2 than normal 50mm enlarger lenses because they are made for smaller enlargements).

Maybe you can ask Klaus (kds315) if he knows a good and affordable lens which is optimized for 1:2 and useful on 2x crop. (He's clearly the expert here for any kind of special macro lenses)

I can't recommend normal taking lenses on tubes or bellows for this kind a macro-photography. The perfomance is usually not as good as with macro lenses for such a purpose, as the field of sharpness is usually not flat enough and you have to stop them down to above F8 (F8 is actually effectivly about F12 when used at 1:2) which will producer a lower resolution. Some normal lenses even have annoying focus shifts when stopping them down at such a magnification. And the resolution at normal aperture is usually also lower.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sat May 12, 2012 5:27 pm; edited 6 times in total

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you FS, it was very nice of you to be so generous with your expertise. much appreciated!
tony