Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Point & shoot SLR camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Point & shoot SLR camera Reply with quote

Somehow I could't let it there on a rummage sale, on a table with all kinds of unnecessairy gear. Minolta 5000 with the not so high regarded 35-80mm 4.0-5.6 AF zoom. Something emotional brought me to pay € 18 for second AF SLR ever (I think). It takes 4 AAA batteries, so that is easy to get and not too expensive; I have reloadables. Program steered lightmetering. But metering can done by hand and it is possible to use MF lenses metered!
Not enough excuses for purchase I fear Rolling Eyes , but for my feeling it did not belong to stay between that rubbish.
Have put a film in it and it came to life! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Congrats !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to excuse €18,-! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I felt a bit ashamed with such a very automatic camera Embarassed, that is not a funny junk pocketable P&S, but looks like a real camera. Certainly not pocketable! But a piece of history that became lonely in a dismal situation.
I am trying it, at first as it is designed. Shutter souds OK.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Konica FP-1 which is also fully automatic except lens , that is still manual . Never mind enjoy your new toy Laughing !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Enjoy the new camera! Remember, it's another tool, so why NOT
pick it up, especially at such a low price. One has to respect that these
cameras were manufactured in the heyday of beautiful electro-
mechanical precision.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two point & shoot cameras with compairable zoom capacity:

[url]

It is clear that the Minolta is not very pocketable! In my kitchen my scales gave it 820 gr, including the 4 AAA batteries, without film.

Taken with Industar 61 LZ 50mm 2.8 on KM5D on a shady balcony.[/url]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nothing special by the standards of today but it works. A technological marvel at the time, it helped the serious photographer to concentrate on the image without messing about with settings.

A friend at work has the same camera and has had it since new and still uses it to this day.

Its a great body to use legacy lenses on, congrats on your bargain!!

It uses AA's thats good. I bought a Nikon F50 for just the lens. That camera uses a double Lithium battery that costs more than the body is worth!

Oh, by the way the nikon rubber grip is sticky - - yecchh whats the Minolta like?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rescue all sorts of rubbish, sometimes I get a decent camera as well. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Oh, by the way the nikon rubber grip is sticky - - yecchh whats the Minolta like?

Nothing wrong with the grip of the Minolta.
But the grip can contain 4xAAA, no AA.
Though I found another one (still cheaper), with a thicker grip, now for 4xAA batteries. Smile
That is the grip I use most, they are fully exchangeable. They work OK with reloadables.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for your Minolta 5000. Is similar to the 7000 that I use to know?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look alike but for the lazy user, a bit too simple and automatic. But you can use it manual too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Minolfan.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to look it up but Minolta tried to nag you into buying their silly Expansion cards so you could get A/M mode. Don't remember exactly about the 5000 but the 3000 had auto-only.

As for the size, you should have got a Minolta 4 or 5 if that mattered ..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5000 can work in manual setting. Cards are introduced in the next generation.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh now I remember.. mine came with kaput viewfinder display (unadvertised of course).
No matter what I tried to tweak it (this and that mode, other batteries, other battery holder) the numbers stayed dark.

So I was, like, reduced to M mode and guessing/adjusting shorter/longer, which was pretty laborious.