Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super Tak 50 1.4 and MC Rokkor PF 58 1.4 on 5dm2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Super Tak 50 1.4 and MC Rokkor PF 58 1.4 on 5dm2 Reply with quote

Hi all.

I got a MC Rokkor 58 1.4 and getting Super Takumar 50 1.4 8 element. Looking forward to get a 5dm2 camera, wonder if takumar will hit the mirror on it?
I know that 5d2 have smaller mirror compared to classic one. Also i know that i should shave a bit of a metal from Rokkor to use it properly. I'm using this one on a 40d and don't have such a problem.
BTW: Is that SMC takumar better then Super takumar 8 element? I've heard different options on this. If anyone can throw a light?

Thanks in advance.
Victor.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want a lens for casual use id grab a SMC tak for its higher contrast and lack of flare.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, i've mentioned that i've already bought it, so it's on a a way to me.
I've read that it hit the mirror, if anyone can confirm this?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

havent processed that information correctly then Very Happy my mind sees what it wants to see...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three different Takumar 50mm f1,4 lenses (Super Tak 50 V1, Super Tak V2 and S-M-C Tak ) and only S-M-C version doesn't hit the mirror of my Canon 5DmkII.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Tak 50 1.4 and MC Rokkor PF 58 1.4 on 5dm2 Reply with quote

TLN wrote:
Hi all.

I got a MC Rokkor 58 1.4 and getting Super Takumar 50 1.4 8 element. Looking forward to get a 5dm2 camera, wonder if takumar will hit the mirror on it?
I know that 5d2 have smaller mirror compared to classic one. Also i know that i should shave a bit of a metal from Rokkor to use it properly. I'm using this one on a 40d and don't have such a problem.
BTW: Is that SMC takumar better then Super takumar 8 element? I've heard different options on this. If anyone can throw a light?

Thanks in advance.
Victor.

If I were you I be more worried about the Rokkor's incompatibility with the 5D2 Wink

And yes the SMC Takumar is better than the first version of the Super Tak 1.4/50 ..... use the search option in the site it has been already talked about...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfujevec wrote:
I have three different Takumar 50mm f1,4 lenses (Super Tak 50 V1, Super Tak V2 and S-M-C Tak ) and only S-M-C version doesn't hit the mirror of my Canon 5DmkII.

Keysersoze27 wrote:

If I were you I be more worried about the Rokkor's incompatibility with the 5D2 Wink

And yes the SMC Takumar is better than the first version of the Super Tak 1.4/50 ..... use the search option in the site it has been already talked about...

Ah.. Just read this forum late. How much is the avg price for Takumar 8 element and for SMC tak nowadays BTW?

I know, that i should work with Rokkor to get it work 100% on my camera.
If i can get Takumar working 100% just shaving some metal near rear lens? I remember i've read about it somewhere.

Annnd... Quite a big question, even i dont have 5d now, but: What would be if i put lens, which hit the mirror on a camera and take a shot? I know that the mirror will touch it, but won't camera explode with the 1st shot?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitting the mirror with the Takumar only happens when you focus to or near infinity. If you are doing portraits then it should not be a problem. If you need to focus to infinity you can always use live view, focus to infinity, take your shot, focus back out of infinity and then leave live view.
I paid €130 for my S-M-C Takumar 50mm f/1.4 in December 2011. Optics are really perfect and the physical condition is near perfect.
Occasionally the focus ring gets a bit stiff when focusing to infinity (none of my other 7 Takumars have this problem) but if I move it back and forth and loosen it up, it no longer has that problem for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I know about infinity. Despite the lens not going to be used at infinity, i would prefer not to keet that in mind.
I've checked ebay and i found that i paid way less then it sells there (i mean 8 element tak), anyway, i'm just waiting for it to arrive.

seems that i will have a big workshop, once i get 5d.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid 70 euros for my S-M-C Takumar but it is not in perfect condition. Two dents in the filter ring, wear on the paint, a bit of the focus ring is chipped (i wonder how that happened since it's metal) and the focusing action is stiff at times around 1.2 meters.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 8 element version hits the mirror on my 1DIII, my S-M-C version does not.
The 8 element version can produce bad flare when the sun is in it's FOV.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it possible to modify the lens that it won't hit the mirror?
I know that Rokkor is possible to do, just need to shave of some metal arount rear lens. How about Super-tak?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the rear element is what sticks out. A mirror shave may be an option.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the problem with the Super Tak is the fact that it has 8 elements and not 7 so it takes up more space in the mirror box.
Wink