Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How future proof are Canon FD lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: How future proof are Canon FD lenses? Reply with quote

I know that nikkor and m43 are pretty much future proof since they are easily adaptable. However, how about Canon FD? I mean, they can't even be easily converted into eos.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: How future proof are Canon FD lenses? Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
I know that nikkor and m43 are pretty much future proof since they are easily adaptable. However, how about Canon FD? I mean, they can't even be easily converted into eos.

All I have to say is EOS-M. Smile

As more and more manufactures introducing mirrorless format, more of these lens will become adoptable. Long Flange length/nice optical lens will only increase in value. Just look at how much these lenses had gone up since introduction of M43.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon FD usable on all mirror less system.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Canon FD usable on all mirror less system.

+1!
All Sony NEX cameras (1.5x crop), Canon EOS-M (1.6x crop), Samsung NX (1.5x crop), all Micro 4/3 mirrorless like Olympus Pen and Lumix DMC (2x crop), new expensive Leica M (no crop) - there are plenty of cameras were you can use Canon FD lenses easily with great results.
And a full format NEX is in development!
Check ranking here to get an overview how many of the modern DSLRs/DSLMs between ~250€ and 1000€ are already compatible with Canon FD: http://www.chip.de/bestenlisten/Bestenliste-DSLR-bis-1.000-Euro--index/detail/id/968/

Canon FD price will rise in the future I guess

Last edited by ForenSeil on Fri May 31, 2013 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How future proof are Canon FD lenses? Reply with quote

drjs wrote:
Just look at how much these lenses had gone up since introduction of M43.

+1 Minolta MD mount lenses too!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FD mount has been obsolete for over 20 years. This IS the future and there's a lot of them around and being used. So I reckon, pretty future proof.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be plenty of the cheaper FD lenses as I've read that just for the "A" model cameras, about 11 million were sold.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just attempting an FD to M42 screw mount conversion at moment. (FD 85mm F1.8 ) If successful, it will be adaptable to fit Pentax and Canon DSLRs.

I will also look at a conversion to Nikon mount, as it would fit Nikon & Canon DSLR.

So the FD is not dead yet!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a seller on eBay called "EddieHouston" who is doing conversions from FD to EOS. Gets good feedback. I haven't tried it myself as I'm keeping my lenses for my AE-1.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l9magen wrote:
There's also a seller on eBay called "EddieHouston" who is doing conversions from FD to EOS. Gets good feedback. I haven't tried it myself as I'm keeping my lenses for my AE-1.

http://www.thelensdoctor.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: How future proof are Canon FD lenses? Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
drjs wrote:
Just look at how much these lenses had gone up since introduction of M43.

+1 Minolta MD mount lenses too!

I am still very new to photography. But I have a long and solid history in the Australian stock market and investing in general. The above advice is very good!

BUY AND HOLD!

Cool Idea

Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there is a safe way to use top line of the old FD lenses on modern EOS bodies. Try to search for EdMika EOS adapter on Ebay. It is may be a little expensive but converts Your FD with infinity without damaging the original lens. I have bought two such adapters for FD 135/2.0 and TS 35/2.8 and can say that the quality of adapters is very good and conversion is doable by Yourself (straight hands). You can also watch his video on Youtube to estimate is it easy for You or not.

One of his Ebay listings also has a table showing mirror compatibility for FF.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FD lenses are my pension plan Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the 24/1.4 SSC Aspherical to go with the near 20 FD lenses I have, an I don't think I'll be selling my SSC's any time soon, and I like my chrome nose versions too, even the FL's are nice to use from time to time.
Future proof? I'll bet that my FD's will outlast all the E mount lenses built up to today, I have Canon LTM lenses that were made in the early 50's that work and look like new, many of the early AF lenses have already begun to fail, when motors and boards fail the lens is more or less a paperweight, only when someone with some ingenuity turns them into MF lenses will they find use again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:
I'm just attempting an FD to M42 screw mount conversion at moment. (FD 85mm F1.8 ) If successful, it will be adaptable to fit Pentax and Canon DSLRs.

What is the point when you can use the lens as is on a MILC?

On Pentax it won't be able to achieve infinity focus unless you modify the lens. Same for Canon. FD mount has shorter flange focal distance than either EF or K, so just physically mounting the lens won't be enough.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
dnas wrote:

What is the point when you can use the lens as is on a MILC?

On Pentax it won't be able to achieve infinity focus unless you modify the lens. Same for Canon. FD mount has shorter flange focal distance than either EF or K, so just physically mounting the lens won't be enough.

I am well aware of this. The key word is "conversion". Conversion means modifying the lens. If I modify the lens I can get infinity focus.

What if I don't want to use it on a MILC, but on existing DSLRs, for example a full frame Canon 5D Mk II? By using either M42 or Nikon to replace/convert the FD mount, I can use adapters to mount on EF/EOS.