Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wich AF replacement for my G9 ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Wich AF replacement for my G9 ? Reply with quote

Ok , I am still looking for a replacement for my Canon G9 ,wich has to :
-as small as possible
-best IQ possibe, 800 ISO at least
-cheapest possible
-Image stabilisation if possible

Having already a NEX3 body I am considering
a) Nex+ some AF lens (16mm ? 18-55 ? Sigma 30/2.8? Sigma 19mm?) (around 200E)
b) Oly EPL1 + kit (200 E)?
c) Nikon J1 + 10-30mm ( over 400E)
d) Canon G12 or Oly XZ1 or Lumix LX5 (over 300E)
But not decided , all variants having pluses and minuses
What would you suggest ?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you know i love my olly, but if you want low light-high iso, thats not the one. honestly, i think any of the cameras you mentioned will have problems at 800 or higher. imo, it is the nature of 'compact' cameras. if you just want a tny camera with lots of manual features with 'passable' iso800 check out the canon s90. its now pretty cheap, because theyve come out with 2 newer models, but havent really improved IQ at all. if you decide this camera might be for you let me know.

as i,m sure you know, any interchangeable lens type kit, whether apsc or m4/3, will not be as small as a p&s. my s90 is truly pocketable, even in front pocket of jeans. just depends on whats important to you.
tony

Last edited by rbelyell on Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Samsung NX100 with 20-50 kit lens?

The camera is the same size as a NEX and the lens is really small too, it's got a collapsible design which makes it pretty small to fit in the pocket. IQ is great, like a NEX-3, and having an APS-C sensor it will outperform the other options including a M4/3.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tony and Ian for your feedback. Forgot about the NX100 , I don't understand how the IQ is so great ,the 800 samples I've seen from it were not great at all EPL1 were better) . Nex 3 smokes away all the cameras above ,to be honest . But, on the other hand ,as a replacement for the G9 NX100 would be good indeed... has a minus : lack of image stabilisation .
As for the s90-100 from canon , it's small,has IS but the image quality doesn't fit the EPL1 samples at 800 at least.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't shoot high ISO but at 200, 400, I can't see difference between my NEX-3 and NX100. Samsung lenses are great though, very sharp.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teo, if you have an apsc cam youre happy with, another apsc or m4/3 to me seems like it doesnt really add anything for you. i love olly, but for your situation, it seems to me another interchangeable lens mirrorless is no better than what you already have in the nex3. it really seems to me you may do yourself more of a service to replace the p&s G with another p&s. o have the s90, so i like it. but there are others too i guess. what i like about the s90 is its fully manually controllable if thats something that may from time to t ime be important.

the tradeoff always is 'quality' of bigger sensor vs 'pocketability' of p&s. sice you already have 'bigger' sensor nex, maybe its best to think of 'pocketability' and convenience with this purchase. btw you can get the s90 for much less than 300€. again, if you decide to go for this camera, let me know.
tony

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPL-1 (oly m4/3) for $149 body only NEW from Cameta!!!

Doug

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vote for the LX5 Teo. Still one of the best P&S cams on the market and smaller than G10/G12 etc.
My son own one. Here one of his samples.

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure I understand your post, sorry:
Are you keeping your NEX3 and just replacing the G9 with something smaller? Or do you want something to replace both the G9 and the NEX? Because if you are keeping the NEX, then why would you want something like a m4/3, since that is the same size as your NEX?

If you want the smallest with best IQ, the canon powershots are the ones to look at, but yes, they won't do great at ISO 800 (though the s100 does quite well at this ISO).
Taken with canon s95:

1203251 by noobographer, on Flickr

12041413 by noobographer, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a Nikon P7100 for my mother-in-law. She wanted a replacement for her old Kodak digicam and was looking for a compact "can-do-all" cam with an optical viewfinder. It will be here next week. I'll report.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirrith wrote:
I'm not quite sure I understand your post, sorry:
Are you keeping your NEX3 and just replacing the G9 with something smaller? Or do you want something to replace both the G9 and the NEX? Because if you are keeping the NEX, then why would you want something like a m4/3, since that is the same size as your NEX?

If you want the smallest with best IQ, the canon powershots are the ones to look at, but yes, they won't do great at ISO 800 (though the s100 does quite well at this ISO).
Taken with canon s95:

1203251 by noobographer, on Flickr

12041413 by noobographer, on Flickr

Thanks for the answer , interesting results !
I wanted to keep the NEX for manual focus lenses and high ISO shots when I know I'll need high ISO.
I want to move from the G9 to a portable autofocus compact package that retain image stabilisation, zoom ability ,better high ISO than G9 for moments when I want autofocus and zoom .
I strongly dislike the Sony kit 18-55 E wich seems too big and unbalanced for me (even if I accept Mf lenses bigger than that , call me freak Laughing ) .
Shortly , i'd trade some compactness of the G9 for some better image quality at high ISO .800-1600 will do .
The nex +kit lens is bulkier than EPL1+kit lens .
Of course ,I don't want to invest a lot in this change. I could keep the nex as the only camera and get an autofocus lens for it ( sigma 19/2.8 or 30/2.Cool . I'd have the best IQ possible for a compact enough combo ,but giving up the image stabilisation and zoom ability (wich I don't want )

LucisPictor wrote :
Quote:

I just bought a Nikon P7100 for my mother-in-law. She wanted a replacement for her old Kodak digicam and was looking for a compact "can-do-all" cam with an optical viewfinder. It will be here next week. I'll report.

Thanks , Carsten , I am very curious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
How about a Samsung NX100 with 20-50 kit lens?

The camera is the same size as a NEX and the lens is really small too, it's got a collapsible design which makes it pretty small to fit in the pocket. IQ is great, like a NEX-3, and having an APS-C sensor it will outperform the other options including a M4/3.

+1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy an AF zoom for the nex.
I wouldn't buy another compact body having one already: just put the af zoom on the nex and use it as if it was a p&s

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:

Thanks , Carsten , I am very curious

Have a look here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1223880.html#1223880

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider Canon S100, or Olympus XZ1.

or the Samsung TL500/EX1 wich has dual image stabilisation, has a Schneider-Kreuznach f1.8 24-72mm equivalent lens and expert abilities :
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungtl500/

some samples :
http://forum.mflenses.com/samsung-ex1-tl500-t41858,highlight,%2Bsamsung+%2Bex.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/samsung-ex1-colour-t44600,highlight,%2Bsamsung+%2Bex.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up compactness for IQ : waiting for the postman to bring an EPL1 + 14-42 last version (upgraded) 230 E .
I'll try also the pancakes 14mm and 20mm for compactness ,when the budget allows

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Teo.

For compactness on my Pen E-P2, I bought this Panasonic Lumix 14mm f2.5 for 120€ : Click here to see on Ebay
I can't say much as I'm still waiting for it but comments seem good and the price is interesting. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Congrats Teo.

For compactness on my Pen E-P2, I bought this Panasonic Lumix 14mm f2.5 for 120€ : Click here to see on Ebay
I can't say much as I'm still waiting for it but comments seem good and the price is interesting. Smile

thank you ,Olivier ! Congrats for the 14mm ! Very good price for the Lumix 14mm ! but how much are going to be the custom and shipping taxes?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you about any custom and other taxes, if any.