Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zenit-S, the missing link between rangefinders and SLRs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Zenit-S, the missing link between rangefinders and SLRs Reply with quote

The Zenit-S was an evolution of the Zorki rangefinders, that were modified to receive a prism and a mirror.
To make room enough to hold the optical system, the Zorki body was modified to move the mount forward.

Some 250,000 were made. It was a very popular model.
Later on, the M39 mount was replaced by a M42 one, to avoid confusion with the lenses.

The one I keep now is working perfectly besides of it's age. It sports an Industar-50 M39 lens.

Saludos.
Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice little camera, very stylish. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
That's a nice little camera, very stylish. Cool

I like it a lot Wink

Thanks for commenting!

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite rare here, even if we were part of 'red empire'. Congrats!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Quite rare here, even if we were part of 'red empire'. Congrats!

Thanks, Attila. It looks really pretty.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this Jes. I knew about the camera but I've never seen one before. It's the forerunner of my first ever SLR, the Zenit 3M. I remember the days (1950s) when early SLRs like this were winning over RF users - the thought of actually viewing what the lens is "seeing", rather than relying on the rangefinder for focussing and reading the DOF on the lens scale, was a huge innovation, for me anyway. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wanted one !

Is the flash connector original, or was it added later ? I understand that a lot of these were modified after manufacture.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks beautiful...nice and solid, and I like how the lens symbol matches the symbol on the prism.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one too:

The PC socket I thought was standard. I've not heard otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Thanks for posting this Jes. I knew about the camera but I've never seen one before. It's the forerunner of my first ever SLR, the Zenit 3M. I remember the days (1950s) when early SLRs like this were winning over RF users - the thought of actually viewing what the lens is "seeing", rather than relying on the rangefinder for focussing and reading the DOF on the lens scale, was a huge innovation, for me anyway. Smile

Thanks for your comment, Peter Smile
I also love those oldies that marked a step forward on the photography technology.

Holding them makes me feel the history...

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I always wanted one !

Is the flash connector original, or was it added later ? I understand that a lot of these were modified after manufacture.

Hi Luis,

As far as I know, the -S suffix model was taken from "synchro", because the camera did include the flash facilities.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
It looks beautiful...nice and solid, and I like how the lens symbol matches the symbol on the prism.

Yes. it feels solid like a rock. It's like a rangefinder dressed up in SLR disguise. Smile

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I have one too:

It's nice to see a cousin of mine in so well shape Wink

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
I have one too:

Regards.
Jes.

With original box too! Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Jesito wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
I have one too:

Regards.
Jes.

With original box too! Cool

Sad Mine is unboxed...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Sad Mine is unboxed...

So its ready to use! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice camera Jes, congrats. I haven't seen this one before, but the 3M is common here in the UK. I've had three 3Ms, I liked the handling and the build quality, but sadly all three didn't work properly.

The 1958 I-50 should be good, the best Tessar-type lens I have (and I have several CZJ 50mm Tessars of different vintages and several Industars) is a 1959 I-50, a really razor sharp lens with excellent contrast. If your copy is as good I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot as I do mine Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Jesito wrote:
Sad Mine is unboxed...

So its ready to use! Smile

Of course Wink A roll is waiting for it Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Nice camera Jes, congrats. I haven't seen this one before, but the 3M is common here in the UK. I've had three 3Ms, I liked the handling and the build quality, but sadly all three didn't work properly.

The 1958 I-50 should be good, the best Tessar-type lens I have (and I have several CZJ 50mm Tessars of different vintages and several Industars) is a 1959 I-50, a really razor sharp lens with excellent contrast. If your copy is as good I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot as I do mine Smile

Thanks, Ian. I'll have to try it also on the mirrorless cams.

Regards.
Jes.