Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which Hexanons to look for?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Which Hexanons to look for? Reply with quote

as i gear up for buying Oly E-M5, i ordered adapters for nikon, minolta md , m42, canon fd lenses and also for konica ar lenses.
so far i don't have any konica lenses, so i'm interested to know which ones to look for.
locally i have opportunity to get following Hexanons : 40mm/1.8, 50mm/1.7, 135mm/3.2, 135mm/3.5 and 28mm/3.5

which one of these should i get and also which other Hexanons should i look for?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W, ive had pretty much every hex lens. for the money in general you cant do better. my absolute favorite on my ep2 (and im hoping my new omd), is the 57/1.4 followed by the 28/3.5 and the 40/1.8. the 24 is excellent, but more expensive. get yourself a tc-x or tc film cam for less than $50 and have some real fun with these. btw, i ended up selling all of my 10 lens hex collection, except for the 57/1.4. indoors low light its a killer. imo way better than any of the very good 50s.

btw, ive found that m39s and m mounts also do great on the olly m4/3s. good luck.
tony

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I agree with rbelyell....... "for the money in general you cant do better". From your list they are all VG to excellent except the 135mm f3.5 IMO, as with my copy I find is just short of razor sharp.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all five of those you can find locally and they are all very good. The 3.2/135 is better than the 3.5/135. The 1.7/50 is fantastic, I'd take that one. The 1.8/40 is very good and is much smaller than the 1.7/50. The 3.5/28 is a superb lens, the earlier all-metal EE version has 7 elements and is better than the later AE version with rubber focus grip.

If you're going to get a film body, the older ones are very well made, I particularly like my Autoreflex T, built like a tank, oozes quality. The FT-1 is very good too but many don't work, weak electronics. Attila's favourite Konica is the FC-1. I have a TC-X, it's horrible compared to the others, cheap and plastic, not made by Konica (Cosina made it I think) but does have the advantage it runs off a single AAA battery. With the older ones like the Autoreflexes, they need a button cell, originally a 1.35v mercury one. A modern 1.5v replacement does work, you just have to use the trick of setting the ISO a step lower (200 for 400 film for example) .

My favourite Hexanons are the 4/21, 2.8/24, 3.5/28, 1.8/50, 1.7/50, UC 45-100 zoom and UC 3.5/80-200 zoom.

The 1.8/50 is amazingly sharp wide open but I prefer the 1.7/50 for most subjects.

I directly compared the 3.2/135 to my Topcon 3.5/135, Pentacon 2.8/135 and Jupiter-11A 4/135. The Konica and Topcon were the best of that bunch and very close to each other in performance, the Topcor was ever so slightly sharper and had a little more microcontrast but it was very close, I reckon the Konica 3.2/135 is a great lens in it's own right, slightly warmer colours than the Topcor, similar to the Pentacon in colour warmth.

I have samples from all five of those lenses you can get locally if you want to see some.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well I agree with rbelyell....... "for the money in general you cant do better". From your list they are all VG to excellent except the 135mm f3.5 IMO, as with my copy I find is just short of razor sharp.

Which version of the 3.5/135 do you have? I have the early chrome ring EE version and it's sharp but not as sharp as my late AE 3.2/135.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take all usually they are not expensive lenses and good ones, if you have higher budget try to have premium lenses.

15mm , 21mm, 28mm f1.8 , 24mm, 85mm longer focal lenght are also very good 135mm, 200mm, 300mm etc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Which version of the 3.5/135 do you have? I have the early chrome ring EE version and it's sharp but not as sharp as my late AE 3.2/135.

An "AE"...my Hexanon 135mm f3.5 image quality is good but IMO my Meyer Zebra and CZj Sonnar 135mms are better in my own film tests, so the Hexanon gets left behind in the cupboard. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

135mm/3.2 and 28mm (it's Hexar AE version of 28mm) are available separate
40mm and 135/3.5 are bundled together with konica fp-1 body
and
50mm is bundled with konica autoreflex t-4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
if you have higher budget try to have premium lenses

do you mean premium lenses in other mounts?

the reason i'm thinking of buying those hexanons is because i haven't been able to use them on my e-520 without converting the mount. i just didn't want to mess around with that. with E-M5 i'll be able to use them just with an adapter, so that's why i'm looking at them, not because i'm on a budget

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Hexar 3.5/28, not tried it yet, I'll test it tomorrow for you, see how good it is.

I'd take the 3.2/135 for sure, it's a top lens.

On NEX-3:

I'd also take the AR T-4 with 1.7/50, very well made body and top lens.

1.7/50 on NEX-3:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
Attila wrote:

the reason i'm thinking of buying those hexanons is because i haven't been able to use them on my e-520 without converting the mount. i just didn't want to mess around with that. with E-M5 i'll be able to use them just with an adapter, so that's why i'm looking at them, not because i'm on a budget

No, he meant the premium Hexanons, the 15, 21, 1.8/28 and others Attila mentioned are the premium ones.

The premium Hexanon zooms are the UC ones, 45-100 and 80-200, both fantastic imho.

UC 45-100 on NEX-3:

UC 80-200 on NEX-3:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

An "AE"...my Hexanon 135mm f3.5 image quality is good but IMO my Meyer Zebra and CZj Sonnar 135mms are better in my own film tests, so the Hexanon gets left behind in the cupboard. Sad

I can believe it, my EE 135 is about the same as the Pentacon in sharpness and it's supposed to be better than the later AE one.

EE chrome ring one wide open:

100% crop:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
135mm/3.2 and 28mm (it's Hexar AE version of 28mm) are available separate
40mm and 135/3.5 are bundled together with konica fp-1 body
and
50mm is bundled with konica autoreflex t-4

The Hexar lenses are the cheaper version of the Hexanon, some say the quality of results from Hexar lenses are inferior to Hexanon lenses ?????

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Hexars were made by Tokina to Konica designs, the build quality matches upto Konica standards, the Hexar 3.5/135 is a good lens, as good as the Hexanon version, I will try the Hexar 28 tomorrow if it doesn't rain all day.

Hexar 3.5/135:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
Attila wrote:

All of the Hexanons mentioned are excellent, but if you aren't on a budget, try to get the Hexar 30mm f2 designed for the rangefinder. Very Happy...or any M series lens.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for more information see here

www.buhla.de

I believe that the H* are no longer cheap as they were some month ago. Others read in foren like this too and the prices increased. 2.8/40 AR is a nice lens together with system cams - like a pancake.

Others - but you know this by yourself and these will be always the same - are much longer, heavier etc. and you will loose the advantage of a nice small and lightweight cam with maybe the quickest AF at the moment.

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
for more information see here

www.buhla.de

i have found this webpage already, but wanted to hear the voice of the people here Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personaly get the 40 1.8. A good copy is superb i have the early 135 3.5 and is excellent.
Have the 57mm f1.4 and thats an amazing lens so sharp wide open and very smooth bokeh.
As soon as my 4th 1.4 lens arrives the takumar 50mm 1.4 i will do a 4 lens shoot out with my fast 50s
Konica 57mm f1.4, takumar 50mm f1.4, minolta rokkor 50mm pg and minolta 58mm pf.
My advice inspect the 50 1.7 with led light as i have 2 both suffer from haze and inspected 5 others in shops also having haze maybe i have been unlucky but seems less well built than most others

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stay away from the 52mm f1.8
the 50mm f1.8 is excellent
if you come across a Tokina or Hoya 80-200mm in Konica AR mount it is really sharp and works well on the olympus pen (not all zooms will)

the downside with the AR mount is it doubles the size of the pancake like 40mm or 50mm

for that reason I really love my Jupiter-8 in m39, it fits and looks really good on the pen cameras I am sure it will look even better on the OM-D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I though premium Hexanon SLR lenses, 15mm, 21mm f2.8 , 28mm f1.8 go around 500 USD , this is reason why I did call them premium lenses vs cheap 40mm f1.8 or others. Leica-M Hexanons are more expensive , but I doubt you will see visible difference vs these lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Hexanon is the splendid 24mm/2.8 . The 40/1.8 is good , a tad soft wide open , and my 50/1.7 is very sharp if stopped a little , but soft wide open .Maybe I have a bad copy .
The prices have rised these last two or three years .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I though premium Hexanon SLR lenses, 15mm, 21mm f2.8 , 28mm f1.8 go around 500 USD , this is reason why I did call them premium lenses vs cheap 40mm f1.8 or others. Leica-M Hexanons are more expensive , but I doubt you will see visible difference vs these lenses.

to second what Attila said these lenses are premium because of their relative scarcity, even the 21mm f4 sells for $200 regularly because Konica collectors want that lens.

a 28mm f3.5 can be had cheaply but anything else below 28 is going to be pricey and there are arguably better choices.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Konica 4/21 is my favourite lens. I paid a lot less than 200USD for it but if I had paid 200, I'd consider it more than worth every penny.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/konica/?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get all of them if the price is right.

40mm is a bit worse optically than a good 50 (for example Hexanon 50/1.7), but it is a pancake and a bit of unusual focal length.

50mm/1.7 is a typical good 50. It's not exceptional (in the true sense of the word), but very, very good. If it were my only 50, I would be extremely happy with it. The downside is that earlier models are heavier than others similar lenses (e.g. Canon FDn 50/1.8 or Minolta MD 50/1.7), while later models have larger MFD and don't have half-stops.

My impressions of 135mm/f3.5 are here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=48094 To summarize, even if there are lenses that are a bit sharper, this one is very good and a pleasure to use and own.

I don't have 135mm/f3.2, so no comments, but I've yet to see Konica that was a disaster.