Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help needed in deciding a lens purchase
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Help needed in deciding a lens purchase Reply with quote

I want to buy a prime lens for my NEX-5N around 30mm focal length. After reading some posts here and test reports elsewhere I had settled for a Sigma 30mm f2.8 AF lens. But, today I saw an Olympus OM 28mm f2.8 MC lens in near mint condition for less than half the price of the Sigma. I know the Olympus is a superb lens, so I was wondering whether I would be better buying it instead. It doesn't matter whether the lens is AF or MF.
What do you think? Please let me know if I am missing something or if you have any other suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personaly the sigma is a superb lens sharp at f2.8

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know which I'd buy as I am not a fan of things made from flimsy plastic.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

either or is probably an excellent choice. The Olympus will not lose anything in value if you decide to sell it, especially being the f2.8 version as opposed to the more common f3.5 version. Don't forget you will need an adapter on the OM lens, but this should be minimal cost less than $20 USD.

Personally I would grab the Olympus now, then in 6-12 months when the Sigma is down to $149 instead of $199 you can grab that one on sale if you feel you need an AF lens in that focal length and sell the Olympus for what you paid for it or maybe keep both.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply's. I've ordered the Olympus, I hope it's as good as people say it is! Very Happy