Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtlander 40/1.4 focus wobble
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Voigtlander 40/1.4 focus wobble Reply with quote

I just got the Voigtlander 40/1.4 MC for Leica M mount.

According the seller, the lens is new, but he has no box. Glass is perfect, optical perfect, cosmetically as new, not a mark - but there is a minor issue: The focus mechanism has some wobble when I turn it quickly back and forward between MFD and infinity. It also makes some noise due to resonance friction metal-metal.

If you have your copy of this lens, please check for me if this kind of issue is normal or not.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 21mm f4 which has a VERY slight amount of radial looseness. If I hold the focus-lever and move it slightly towards and back from infinity, there's the slightest degree of movement before the lens starts to turn. But it's almost undetectable unless I'm looking for it, and has no effect on how the lens works. The focusing mount feels slightly "dry" compared to my 35/1.7 which has zero looseness anywhere.

The CV lenses seem to vary from sample to sample according to some of the photo-hypochondriacs who anguish over microscopic variations in some forums . . . I have four different CV Leica mount lenses - all feel different but none of them give me any cause for worry. Come to that, all five of my Leitz lenses feel different as well - far more variation too !!!

In your case, it's the amount of wobble that matters. A small fraction of a millimeter (like mine) might be noticeable but won't matter. But if it's moving appreciably more than that, then it suggests a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stephen.

I didn't know that there are so different in copy variation.
Mine has micro wobble, but I did a whole day testing the lens, the sound and wobble does not affect the optical quality, and does not affect the focus fine tune. Turning the lens normally (slowly) won't produce any of these issues. The lens is stunning optically but mechanically and build quality, what annoying.

Best regards.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Voigtlander 40/1.4 focus wobble Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:

If you have your copy of this lens, please check for me if this kind of issue is normal or not.

Thanks.

it's not normal.. no noise.. no wobble with my copy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Thanks Stephen.

I didn't know that there are so different in copy variation. [ . . . ] The lens is stunning optically but mechanically and build quality, what annoying.

Best regards.

All the lenses using the basic body design of the screw thread 21mm, 25mm and 35/2.5 types which I've handled have been very similar in how they felt - the 35/1.7 and 75/2.5 are different and look to have some common parts, and seem to be much smoother. It's a bit irritiating, but no worse than that, for me at least.

When the CV screw lenses came out they were relatively inexpensive for sophisticated, limited market/small scale production lenses and the mechanical variations were easily forgiven or disregarded. Now, the prices have skyrocketed but the build quality doesn't seem to have changed very much.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I just unscrewed the base of the lens, dismount everything into pieces. The good thing is the lens easily disassembled. The bad thing is i dont know how to put it back...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhhh Dear . . . . . Good luck with it !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it back in original shape Laughing

The lens is now so perfect to use.