Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Robot Star arrived
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: The Robot Star arrived Reply with quote

The Robot arrived, it took only seven days, which is reasonably fast for DHL.

The camera is small but heavy. It is only very slightly larger than a Rollei 35S or an Olympus XA but weighs about twice as much as the Rollei or three times as much as the Olympus or almost as much as a 350D with the kit lens -- although it doesn't seem to be made of stainless steel like the previous Robots were. Here it is with a 350D, S-K Xenon 1.9/40 on the Robot, CZ Planar 1.7/50 on the 350D:

The spring is rather stiff to wind, the 25 shots/winding may be slightly optimistic, and the drive slows down near the end. The shutter itself is very quiet, but film advance felt quite noisy -- until I compared it with the drive of my Contax 139Q, which turned out to be much noisier.

According to the serial number of the Xenon, the camera dates from 1952, the year when this model was introduced. The mechanical feel of the single coated Xenon is impeccable. It is like a precision instrument or watch, the aperture clicks are like those of a very very quiet safe lock, and the focusing action is very smooth and positive with just the correct amount of friction. Mechanically this lens beats all my other lenses, makes them feel cheaply made -- whether Leitz or Zeiss or SMC Takumar. The aperture is perfectly round with something like sixteen blades. Optically the Xenon is an asymmetrical derivative of the double-Gauss design and ought to perform adequately within the constraints of single coating and scale focusing. The FOV corresponds to a 95 mm lens on a 6x6, with more DOF, of course, something like that of a 60 mm lens.

The camera body shows signs of use, but it is, after all, a 55 years old amateur camera with not all parts quite up to the standard of the lens.

I hope to do some shooting soon -- the large number of frames per film will take some effort.

Veijo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veijo, that is one beautiful and unique piece of gear! What a BONUS to have the S-K 40/1.9. Classic!

I am anxiously awaiting to see images out of this venerable combination!

Laurence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Veijo!. Looks very pretty...
That's the kind of cameras I like. I look forward to see your pictures.

(BTW, the C/Y-EOS adapter in the 350D, is a focus confirmation one?. Are you using a standard focusing screen?. This was my dreamy configuration, the 350D with the Planar. Superb quality, but most of the shots out of focus...)

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Veijo!
I am sure you will use this little gem to its best!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veijo - does it take standard 35mm cassettes or the old Robot ones?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Veijo! the 350D look quite big in front of the robot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Veijo, that is one beautiful and unique piece of gear! What a BONUS to have the S-K 40/1.9. Classic!

So it is Smile

Quote:
I am anxiously awaiting to see images out of this venerable combination!

I hope to have some pics to display come next Tuesday. To-day it wasn't raining, and there was even something remotely resembling sunshine so I took a walk around downtown Helsinki shooting more or less randomly, guessing both the exposure and the focus, just in order to get at least a few photos.

Somehow it was rather a liberating experience to use a camera with a sharp lens and not the least possibility of achieving a pixel peeping level of focusing accuracy, just setting the focus at some decent distance and shooting from the hip, the camera practically hidden in my left hand, the lens just peeping from between the thumb and the forefinger, releasing the shutter with my right thumb, both hands thickly gloved. The sound of the film advance was drowned by the din of the traffic, and no one paid the least attention to me and my waist level camera. I found zone focusing made me regard things differently, not in terms of some detail in exact focus but in terms of the reasonably deep DOF zone of f/8, which I was using in order to have some leeway. Let's just hope my sunny sixteen was correct to within two stops or so Confused

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Congrats, Veijo!. Looks very pretty...
That's the kind of cameras I like. I look forward to see your pictures.

Thanks Smile

Quote:
(BTW, the C/Y-EOS adapter in the 350D, is a focus confirmation one?. Are you using a standard focusing screen?.

I haven't got a single focus confirming adapter, just the ordinary, passive types. And I use just the standard screens, of course misfocusing every now and then, but that's life and makes me pay attention to what I'm doing. One very famous musician once stated that the day he's sure before a concert that he'll make no mistakes he'll stop playing. I think that's a very good way of looking at things - at least when you aren't a doctor or something.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
Veijo - does it take standard 35mm cassettes or the old Robot ones?

Robot Star was the first Robot to use the standard 35 mm cassette and to have a rewind mechanism (Robot Star Junior also uses the standard cassette, but for some unfathomable reason it lacks rewind Shocked .) However, there is still the proprietary receiving cassette, which is nice if you happen to open the camera before rewinding the film, you'll lose just a couple of frames.

Veijo