Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Newb here..Help anyone there?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Newb here..Help anyone there? Reply with quote

Hello all just found this forum and am totally new to the use of MF lenses..became interested after reading someone was using a Pentax 67 lens on their Canon with an adapter. Where is the best place to start to get info on using MF lenses on a 40d if that is possible ? Thanks ahead of time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for eos adapters with chips on ebay or amazon. These will allow you to use "wrong" mounts under the aperture priority mode. M42 is probably the cheapest/easiest way in. Then check the best lenses section to get an idea of the qualiy of the different lenses available

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Look for eos adapters with chips on ebay or amazon. These will allow you to use "wrong" mounts under the aperture priority mode.
patrickh

I have I have >6 adapters, all without a chip and I have no problem shooting in aperture priority.

Mounts that you should have no problem adapting are:
OM
Nikon F
M42
Leica R
Zeiss ZE, ZF, ZK
Pantax K
C/Y Contax/Yashica
There may be others I'm forgetting, and if you move to full-frame there can be mirror issues with some mounts and some lenses.
A good safe start are with M42 & OM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an AF chip with my m42 adaptor and I find it useful when it is to bright to use live view. However especially if I am shooting wide open with faster lens I find that I get better results zooming in x5 or x10 with live view to nail the focus.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the M42 adapter. I've had M42 cameras in the past and, for better and worse, switched to Nikon mount about 20 years ago. Comparable quality M42 lenses are usually cheaper than Nikon F mount, and certainly cheaper than anything by Leica or Zeiss.

Why don't I have M42 stuff in addition to the Nikon? I already have too much Nikon stuff and need to pare it down. I'm quite glad I don't have M42 and others at the same time!!