Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

24mm fast?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: 24mm fast? Reply with quote

I'd like a fast 24mm not to much expensive for my Canon 7d.
Could suggest it? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look for zuiko's, and if you can spare 600 euros why not the super fast Samyang 24:1.4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fast+good+wide rarely can give a not too expensive result: you'll have to come to some compromise - also depending on what you mean by "fast" "good" and "not too expensive".

Tokina - made 24 2.8 (in various brands) is reportedly good and not too expensive, wouldn't call it fast, though, at 2.8

Sigma superwide II 24 2.8 also is cheap, common, and provides good quality for the price, but again, 2.8 and if your standard for "good" is somewhat high, probably this lens won't fit it.

Vivitar 24 2 is faster, but according to many really soft wide open, and its priced from 200€ up, depending on mounts.

Then there are distagons (25 2.8 ) and elmarits (24 2.8 ) but these don't fit into the "not too expensive".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As pointed above these tend to be quite expensive. I'm selling my Vivitar 24/2 in marketplace. But will agree that it is quite soft wide open. However, it improves a lot stopped down. The other options are canon, nikon, Olympus 24/2 but they all tend to be quite expensive unless you're willing to spend trawling through second hand shops or auction sites.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
fast+good+wide rarely can give a not too expensive result: you'll have to come to some compromise - also depending on what you mean by "fast" "good" and "not too expensive".

Tokina - made 24 2.8 (in various brands) is reportedly good and not too expensive, wouldn't call it fast, though, at 2.8

Sigma superwide II 24 2.8 also is cheap, common, and provides good quality for the price, but again, 2.8 and if your standard for "good" is somewhat high, probably this lens won't fit it.

Vivitar 24 2 is faster, but according to many really soft wide open, and its priced from 200€ up, depending on mounts.

Then there are distagons (25 2.8 ) and elmarits (24 2.8 ) but these don't fit into the "not too expensive".

+1 very well said.
I bought Miranda 24/2,8 from member eddietman. it said made by Cosina, and sold under many brands
It cheap, but very good for it's price. see my samples here Miranda 24/2,8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounding like a worn out record here but.... Ensinor 24mm F2.8 Macro.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon fd 24/1.4 is also very good. A bit heavy to bring around. Not so cheap.

Ensinor 24/2.8 was mentioned. Close focus and very good optical. Rare. Price might be higher than last 2 years.

One of the best 24mm I have seen is sony nex zeiss 24/1.8, around 1000usd.

Faster than 2.8 is not cheap in general.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:

+1

I spent some time not too long ago compiling a list of budget short focal length lenses which can be found here if that helps. In the end though I think it is hard to find something good, fast and inexpensive, if you were going to put it on a MFT or a Nex I would tell you to buy a new AF lens, but since you want to put it on a DSLR then your choices are limited for primes.

http://forum.mflenses.com/short-focal-length-budget-lenses-t48567,highlight,%2Bbudget.html

p.s. I have a 24mm f2.8 Sigma Super-Wide and although it's macros recently surprised me with their quality the lens is other wise soft on the edges and nothing special.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a Distagon 25/2.8 from a camera shop for £55 not the 'T' version though Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Soligor 24mm f/2.5 recently which surprised me optically.

Almost mint for about $45 from the bay. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
Just bought a Distagon 25/2.8 from a camera shop for £55 not the 'T' version though Very Happy

does it write T* in red ?
£55 is a great price

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Tervueren wrote:

£55 is a great price

No red T unfortunately so will have to see how it does Question

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
poilu wrote:
Tervueren wrote:

£55 is a great price

What mount is it?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

I've just picked up a Sun 24mm f2.5, I'd be interested to see if it's the same lens any chance of a picture?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noddywithoutbigears wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

I've just picked up a Sun 24mm f2.5, I'd be interested to see if it's the same lens any chance of a picture?

+1 I'm curious too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Tervueren wrote:
poilu wrote:
Tervueren wrote:

£55 is a great price

What mount is it?

Rollei Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma sw II 2.8/24 fast sharp enough for it price