Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dedicated to Xpres: Cleaning the Tokina 300mm 5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Dedicated to Xpres: Cleaning the Tokina 300mm 5.6 Reply with quote

Tudor was so kind of providing me a patient coming from his lens hospital to have it treated in this sunny area. I received this lens at the beginning of the past week, but until this morning I've been unable to look at it.
At the end, the lens was simply dirty. No fungus at all, only some dust and debris everyhere, including the corpse of a small inhabitant who did live inside for a while.

Both lens elements (front and back) needed cleaning. And also the inside of the lens.

But let's begin from the front element: As usual the first step is to remove the nameplate. In this case it has been a little harder than usual, because the lens had a little ding on the border that puts some difficulties when unscrewing, but at the end it went out:

With a suction cup I took out all the elements from the top, including a spacer between the first and second lens:

Before cleaning these elements, I decided to fix the ding a little, to allow an easier rebuild and used the vise lens tool:

I use to fill the body with kitchen paper, to catch the small particles that can fall when undinging:

Once this fixed, I decided to attack the backside to access the back elements: Three screws fix the mount and the auto-manual mechanism:

Then the back element gets exposed, it has to be removed with a lens tool:

Then cleaning everything, glasses and the internals of the lens, where a small bug had a happy life until it died and left some traces of its living: You can watch it at the bottom side of the picture, lying inside the lens:

And the bug corpse itself:

The back lens group:

Once cleaned everything, assembly back in reverse order:

At the end, we have a pristine RMC Tokina 300mm f/5.6 ready to be tested... Smile

Again thanks to Xpres for this learning opportunity Smile

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes, what an outstanding tutorial and great job. I had totally missed that bug!
Should be a fine performer now.Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jes
This is a great tutorial. I have never tried this myself yet but would like to have a go. What do you use to clean the lens elements?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpres wrote:
Jes, what an outstanding tutorial and great job. I had totally missed that bug!
Should be a fine performer now.Smile

Thanks, Tudor!
I've been trying it this morning. I'll upload some pictures later Smile
And yes, it seems to be a good performer Wink

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Hi Jes
This is a great tutorial. I have never tried this myself yet but would like to have a go. What do you use to clean the lens elements?

Just a drop of liquid soap on the ultrasonic tank water. 90 seconds. Dry with a microfiber clean towel.
That's all... (only if the lenses don't have any fungus, just to clean them).

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few samples with the NEX-5:

Regards.
Jes.