Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 35-70 3.5-4.5 Macro or Sigma Miniwide 24/2.8 for Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Canon 35-70 3.5-4.5 Macro or Sigma Miniwide 24/2.8 for Macro Reply with quote

I find myself experimenting more and more with my NEX 5 and macro tubes around the garden for Macro stuff. So I thought I should look into getting a dedicated Macro lens. To begin with I only have limited budget having just bought an EP-2. The lens will be used with both the NEX and Oly.

I can get the above mentioned Canon for £20 and Sigma for £25. I already have a Canon 35-70 f4 which is a pretty good sharp lens. Anyone have any experience with it? I could find some pictures for Sigma here but none for the Canon. Or are there any other cheap (range being £30 max) alternatives?

Thanks,
Bhargav

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm is that a typo and it should be 28mm mini wide? Anyway I've only got the mini wide II so any shots (from a film camera) are not much use to you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Canon 35-70 3.5-4.5 Macro or Sigma Miniwide 24/2.8 for M Reply with quote

bhargav wrote:
Or are there any other cheap (range being £30 max) alternatives?

Thanks,
Bhargav

I got a Konica Hexanon 3.5/55 (1:1 with macroadapter) for 36 Euro and a friend bought his Vivitar 2.8/55mm (1:1) for 40 Euro.. another one just sold for 33.50 Euro:

Click here to see on Ebay

With some luck and if you can wait those are in your pricerange.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be some confusion as to whether we are discussing the sigma 24 or 28.

If it is the first version 24 (manual focus) then watch out for cracked lens elements. I have found 2 of these each with one of the internal lenses cracked, so there seems to a design problem there. I have never tried a good one.

The first and second versions of the 28mm (both manual focus) are excellent and possibly some of the best 28s I've used but suffer with a plasticky aperture ring that distorts if you hold it too tight and this makes changing the aperture a bit stiff.

I've used the Canon 35-70 but not for macro so cannot comment on that, anyway a zoom lens is never going to get as good results as a prime lens so you would be much better off looking at primes only if you want a lens for macro.

But why 28mm, I would look at a 50mm lens which gives you a better working distance and a wide variety of low price lenses to choose from.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all apologies for getting the name wrong. It is not mini but Super-Wide. So it is Sigma 24/2.8 Super Wide Angle Macro.

Thanks all of you for your comments. I should check that Konica out, but that means one more adapter Sad

Ramon, I will check the 24mm for the cracked lens elements if I end up buying the 24mm. It seems a good price so might just buy it anyway even if not for Macro.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhargav wrote:
First of all apologies for getting the name wrong. It is not mini but Super-Wide. So it is Sigma 24/2.8 Super Wide Angle Macro.

Ah missed again as I have the 24mm super wide II Smile assuming the 2nd version is an improvement on the first, then I would say at macro it's only good (but excellent at other settings).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for a Micro-Nikkor 3.5/55, they are very common on ebay and are only about 30 quid, it's a laser-sharp lens for Macro and normal shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhargav wrote:

I should check that Konica out, but that means one more adapter Sad

yes but a very useful adapter.. there are so many nice Hexanons Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
bhargav wrote:

Ah missed again as I have the 24mm super wide II Smile assuming the 2nd version is an improvement on the first, then I would say at macro it's only good (but excellent at other settings).

Yrs, you can go wrong with this sigma for sharp not macro imho