Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

advice please on smallest 20mm m42 lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: advice please on smallest 20mm m42 lens Reply with quote

hi

i need some help as i want to acquire a very small 19-21mm prime in m42 mount. i had the mir 21/4. it was too big and had too much distortion. so my wants:

1. MUST be m42 (please do not suggest great non m42, it won't help me!)

2. must be smaller than the mir

3. would really like low distortion/good resolving power

thank you!
tony

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not exists...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Attila
In M42 there is nothing for you at 21.
If you can go to OM then a Zuiko 3.5/21 is a super choice.
Otherwise go up o 24mm and search for a Yashica DSM 2.8/24.
From all I could tell it's the same lens as the ML 2.8/24mm which you own so, you know how big it is.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience with it but you might want to try a Mamiya Sekor 21/4 in m42. Or just go with a Flek, it won't cut down on size but it will likely improve your IQ over the Mir.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucispictor metioned Cosina 20/3.8 from

http://www.flickr.com/groups/m42/discuss/72157621789610856/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone use the tak 20/4.5, that looks small...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the S-M-C Tak 4.5/20mm. It does certainly fit the small requirement. It's about the same size as the Tak 24mm. Front thread is only 58mm. The original hood is huge though.

I honestly was not that impressed with it. Maybe I expected too much. The corners on my copy were never good, even at f8. That was with film. Wide open they were like mud. Distortion was no better controlled than with the Mirs.

Focusing was impossible in anything other than full sunlight too. Could have been the Pentax ES, which certainly doesn't have the brightest screen but it isn't the worst. I guess the expectation with a 20mm is that by stopping down to f11 or f16 and setting it to the hyperfocal distance you have essentially a point and shoot. I didn't like doing that. Felt like I had no control.

But center sharpness and colors were good. So was flare protection and contrast. The S-M-C was probably one of the best coatings you can find on an older super-wide.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 20-21mm SLR lens in those days was most commonly a non-retrofocal type with the optics poking far into the mirror box, used with the mirror locked up and an external finder. Most of the SLR makers had something like that - Nikon, Yashica, etc. Focusing was by scale.

This wouldn't work on Pentax Spotmatics as they lacked mirror lock-up (or mostly did). So Pentax had to do it differently and try to get a good retrofocus solution.

The Pentax was a bit out of the ordinary back in the day. The retrofocus alternatives were huge, and pretty poor - except for the Zeiss Flektogon.

A 4.5/20 is indeed a very difficult lens to focus accurately on an SLR. From my experience the best way to use these is in fact by scale/hyperfocal focusing, if the scale is accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I've used the S-M-C Tak 4.5/20mm. It does certainly fit the small requirement. It's about the same size as the Tak 24mm. Front thread is only 58mm. The original hood is huge though.

I honestly was not that impressed with it. Maybe I expected too much. The corners on my copy were never good, even at f8. That was with film. Wide open they were like mud. Distortion was no better controlled than with the Mirs.

Focusing was impossible in anything other than full sunlight too. Could have been the Pentax ES, which certainly doesn't have the brightest screen but it isn't the worst. I guess the expectation with a 20mm is that by stopping down to f11 or f16 and setting it to the hyperfocal distance you have essentially a point and shoot. I didn't like doing that. Felt like I had no control.

But center sharpness and colors were good. So was flare protection and contrast. The S-M-C was probably one of the best coatings you can find on an older super-wide.

I had that lens also but really liked it's "faults".
The softish corners and vignetting reminded me of the Leica super angulon 21mm m mount RF lens.
In the end I sold mine as it was in near collectable condition. One of the best photogs in our group here still owns it Very Happy
That lens is not exactly small though a touch smaller and with much better build quality than the mir

Why M42 mount Tony? Curious..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the smallest i've seen is the om 21/f2, very expensive and you would either need an adapter or convert the mount if it's possible

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Vivitar 19 3.8 is pretty much small and not a bad performer either

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The already mentioned mamiya sekor sx 21/4 is small, and should be a good lens. Not so easy to find and not extremely cheap, and somewhat tricky to adapt, but probably one of the best in that range and mount.