Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma's constant f1.8 zoom.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Sigma's constant f1.8 zoom. Reply with quote

Sigma have just released details of a 18-35 f1.8 zoom lens Surprised

http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/art/a_18_35_18/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information!
I will not buy it, but to know this is good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 25 to 52mm FF equivalent f/1.8 lens will undoubtedly come in handy for crop-frame DSLR video, but judging from the MTF charts published on Dpreview I wouldn't use it for stills larger than HD resolution Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
A 25 to 52mm FF equivalent f/1.8 lens will undoubtedly come in handy for crop-frame DSLR video, but judging from the MTF charts published on Dpreview I wouldn't use it for stills larger than HD resolution Rolling Eyes

From what you write it sounds like it's a lens for shooting video on a DSLR. Disappointing if that's the case. Confused

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all have different quality requirements, everyone decides for him/herself what's good for their use.

It is a lens for 1.5x crop DSLR, the lens has a built-in solution the type of metabones speed booster. The MTF charts Sigma published show how detail rapidly drops outside the center circle, which is why I think this lens will not be suitable for still photographers who require even detail throughout the frame. However, I think it will be very much appreciated by DSLR video footage creators - a 25 to 52mm FoV FF equivalent f/1.8 lens is very widely useable for DSLR video in available light.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this one doesn't rate the "EX" premium lens designation - or are Sigma moving away from this with their latest lenses?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick glimpse at the MTF I think explains why this lens did not receive the EX designation...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma has a new way of branding their lenses, this is an "A" or art series lens, their top of the range, the lens has an equivalent DOF of f2.8 on FF, angle is 27 -52 mm on a Nikon body. Their "A" series 35 mm f1.4 is getting very good reviews.

Tomas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
Sigma has a new way of branding their lenses, this is an "A" or art series lens, their top of the range,

This is what I'm trying to get my head around.. there is no more "EX"?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more EX, they now have three "categories" A = Art, fast primes, S = Sport, tele lenses and C that i don t remember what it stands for, but are the cheaper ones.

edit: i found the link...http://sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/index.html

Tomas