Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta XD7 or X700
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Minolta XD7 or X700 Reply with quote

After starting to acquire a few Rokkor lenses I would like to get a camera to use with them besides digital, I've narrowed it down to these (I think), any Minolta buffs out there care to advise me pros or cons between them.
Thanks
John

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I only own a X-700 and am pleased using it and it's faults (IMO) ? Flash syn only 1/60 sec, and using AUTO settings in very low light the exposure will only go to about 2-3 secs (even a BC1 goes to about 40 secs) and if you are unlucky you might buy one of the few made that has poor quality capacitors, these can easily be replaced cheaply if you are handy with a soldering iron.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I was just reading about the capacitor issues, was there a certain serial number range to avoid, to be honest I'm seriously thinking of a XE1, I know it's bigger and heavier but it looks like it was built to last, maybe less problematic, seen a 'mint' one for sale with a 35-70 macro zoom on it for £69, does that sound about right

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the XE-7 and XE-5, and really like them. I would not not get the 5 just because it's lower in the line than the 7. (My 5 is in better shape than my 7, having been CLA'd) Actually I really like them both, in many ways they are my favorite 35mm SLRs right now. And the constant aperture 35-70 is the best zoom I've ever had.

In other words, if that price is OK and the zoom's the constant 3.5, you'll have one hell of a camera.

The X series has been debated here before, and again I'd probably get the 5 before I got the 7 in that series.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer XE-1 above XD7, though it is a very nice camera, and X500 above X700.
My choice between XD7 and X700 would be for the XD7 with its very good and fast metal shutter.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
Thanks, I was just reading about the capacitor issues, was there a certain serial number range to avoid, to be honest I'm seriously thinking of a XE1, I know it's bigger and heavier but it looks like it was built to last, maybe less problematic, seen a 'mint' one for sale with a 35-70 macro zoom on it for £69, does that sound about right

Well I don't know what serial numbers that were affected, but something really different that you might consider would be a mechanical SRT model....good enough for about 130 years Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the X700. What i can say that it's a very compact camera, the shutter is quite loud, the best mode with this camera is A ( aperture ) it has Manual and Program as well. manual isn't the best, and P can be quite handy sometimes.
The handling is good, the viewfinder is clear and big ( microprism/split ). @ 1/30 exposure the camera beeps to inform that there's a danger of camera shake ( this is not a cool feature ! and you can't disable it )

The XD7 aka XD11 which i didn't own, but had to test is the top of Minolta line. It's the camera that served as a base to the Leica R series, from R4 onwards. This one is smoothier in use than the X700, and it has a real manual mode, no program. as i recall it has a speed mode.

I'd go for the XD7. The prices aren't that high nowadays. Besides the Rokkors are superb lenses !! i had the 1.4 & 1.7/50 , the 2/45, the 2.8/135 and the 3.5/200. You can find them for bargain prices

hope it helped

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might prefer the X500/X570 over the X700.

See this:
http://www.rokkorfiles.com/X-570.htm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, a XD-7 I was watching went for £70 earlier today. I have a few more to check up on and I'll let you know what I end up with Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to member Xpres I will soon have my hands on a 500 and a 700 Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I actually own both the xd11 (aka xd7) and the x-700. To be honest with you I love the feel and smoothness of the xd11 over the x-700. I have also come to the conclusion that in the near future I will be getting rid of the x-700 in favour of another xd11. Don't get me wrong the x-700 is an amazing camera and lighter and easier to hold just when the opportunity arises try and take a minolta XD for a spin. Enjoy you x-500 and x-700.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used both XD7 and X700/X500 cameras for years. I agree with most responses, the XD is a nicer camera. But if you need TTL flash or more than 2 frames per second the X700/X500 is great too. I have got big hands and I really liked the heft of an X500 with motordrive MD1.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By sheer luck I became the proud owner of two XD7's and a bunch of lenses when I bought a bagful of 'camera stuff' at a boot sale, I didn't even look in the bottom of the bag until I got it home and I though "hey, Minolta's. I'll sell them on." With film camera's I'd always been a Canon FD man and still have AE1P's.
But the XD7 was a revelation, they have the silkiest shutter I've ever used, superb build quality and they are just a very good user friendly camera.

I have made new light seals for the back door, and that's the only issue I've had with them.

I've read somewhere that the chassis / shutter assembly was also used by Leica, and that doesn't surprise me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'm a bit late seeing this thread. I have the XG-M, XD7, X-500 and X-700. Quality-wise they're all very nice cameras. The capacitor problem only affects the X-xxx range and although I haven't hit any problems myself, I understand it's quite simple to obtain and replace the capacitors if it ever becomes necessary.

The XD7, with shutter priority mode and its metal shutter is probably the best quality of them all. The X-500 and X-700 have fabric horizontal shutters and more plastic parts, including the film door and some of the cogs in the film advance mechanism, but they don't have a plasticky feel. They all have very nice large and bright viewfinders, with split image screens, and a window showing the aperture setting.

The X-500 has manual and aperture priority auto modes only. The XD7 has shutter priority mode (S mode) as well, and the display in the viewfinder changes from aperture to shutter speeds as you change between modes. The X-700 has Program mode, not S mode, which I think was a backward step. Also the X-500, being a later addition to the range, has a better viewfinder display in manual mode, as it shows the actual shutter speed setting as well as the correct setting for the exposure. This allows you to adjust the speed without removing your eye from the viewfinder, whereas on the X-700 you have to check the set speed by looking at the knob. Don't believe the blurb about the X-700 being the most professional of the range - the P mode is only useful to rank amateurs in my opinion.

The other reason I like the X-500 best of all is the instant and quieter shutter release. Both the XD7 and the X-700 have a tiny time lag before the shutter fires. I think this is because these cameras meter the light and adjust the shutter speed/aperture in between the mirror going up and the shutter firing. I haven't noticed any difference to the image quality.

It will be interesting to hear what you think when you've tried both cameras from Xpres! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used X370, but because it's been made of plastic, i feel it uncomfortable when using it with heavy lens.
XD11/7/5 is very good actually, and I like how metal camera feel in your hand.