Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help fixing Pancolar 50mm Aperture
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Need help fixing Pancolar 50mm Aperture Reply with quote

I just bought my first Carl Zeiss lens, a Pancolar 50mm 1.8 Zebra, it was cheap because of the aperture... so I bought it to try to fix myself...

Does anyone have any experience with the Pancolar?

Here is a picture of it:

I have zero experience fixing lenses... Embarassed

Thanks! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what was wrong with aperture to start with?
are those parts all you have?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
what was wrong with aperture to start with?
are those parts all you have?

The aperture ring turns but the aperture stays full open...

Those are the only parts I have...I just removed the 3 screws in the back...

ah, when I pull the spring, the aperture open and closes... but not from the aperture ring....

Wow, this is so complicated... lol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention...the aperture ring turns freely, without click stops.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to fix the aperture but in regards to it turning freely it sounds like you are missing the ball bearing/s that make it click.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How this lens works is pretty easy, I posted a thread a while back.

First of all, the missing click stops are due to a missing ball which should be lodged under the focus ring, it's tiny and it rests on a small spring, which might also be missing. No big deal. If you find the spring, you can use the ball from a ball point pen (after having removed the ink of course), it should be similar.

As for aperture, looking at your picture there are two key parts that control it:

* on the left side at the 8 o'clock position, the small t-shaped part kept in place by two screws, is coupled to the aperture mechanism and transmits the aperture ring movement

* on the right side, at the 1 o'clock position, the small lever held in place by a screw controls the auto/manual aperture functions; the spring on its bottom part serves to keep it in the "open" (auto) position, while the steel cable (inside the long springy tube) serves to transmit the auto/manual switch and auto pin movements, so that aperture closes

Try to rotate the second part anti-clockwise (so that its bottom spring tensions), then rotate the aperture ring, and check what happens. If everything works, your problem is probably on a third key part, the one at the bottom in the 6 o'clock position. It's spring loaded, and it gets pressed by the auto pin when it's depressed, or pressed and kept in place by the auto/manual switch when set to auto. Check that it moves freely ad the long cable really transmits its movement to the second part above.

Edit: having checked your picture again, I think that the long steel cable broke in the past (same thing happened to mine) and was replaced by a custom-made one, which is too long to fully rotate the top lever, so the aperture is essentially always in the auto (open) position. It probably happened at the same time when the ball bearing was lost. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems than not the same aperture mechanism of the black MC pancolar 50.

Perhaps your lens is more complex, I guess.

If you tell us what's wrong, one of us can oriented to you.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that this can help.

http://www.ydo.abelgratis.co.uk/pancolar.html

Good luck.

Rino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan, what happens if you put the lens together again and then press the silver pin?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
How this lens works is pretty easy, I posted a thread a while back.

First of all, the missing click stops are due to a missing ball which should be lodged under the focus ring, it's tiny and it rests on a small spring, which might also be missing. No big deal. If you find the spring, you can use the ball from a ball point pen (after having removed the ink of course), it should be similar.

As for aperture, looking at your picture there are two key parts that control it:

* on the left side at the 8 o'clock position, the small t-shaped part kept in place by two screws, is coupled to the aperture mechanism and transmits the aperture ring movement

* on the right side, at the 1 o'clock position, the small lever held in place by a screw controls the auto/manual aperture functions; the spring on its bottom part serves to keep it in the "open" (auto) position, while the steel cable (inside the long springy tube) serves to transmit the auto/manual switch and auto pin movements, so that aperture closes

Try to rotate the second part anti-clockwise (so that its bottom spring tensions), then rotate the aperture ring, and check what happens. If everything works, your problem is probably on a third key part, the one at the bottom in the 6 o'clock position. It's spring loaded, and it gets pressed by the auto pin when it's depressed, or pressed and kept in place by the auto/manual switch when set to auto. Check that it moves freely ad the long cable really transmits its movement to the second part above.

Edit: having checked your picture again, I think that the long steel cable broke in the past (same thing happened to mine) and was replaced by a custom-made one, which is too long to fully rotate the top lever, so the aperture is essentially always in the auto (open) position. It probably happened at the same time when the ball bearing was lost. Smile

Thanks so much for your help!!

I tried everything you mentioned... but the aperture is acting in a bizarre way... now it will not stay fully open...

About the steel cable, what could I do now? There are some screws that are so small that I did not try anything... So I put the lens back together and the aperture now stays closed at f/4, and I can open until f/2.8, but don't open more than that... and when I close past f/4 the aperture will not close...it stays at f/4.

At least I have 2 functional apertures! lol... and I fixed the click-stops! I put the small ball bearing in the spring... now it clicks! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, is there oil on the aperture blades?

As for the cable, you can replace it with something else of the right length.

You can also make the lens fully manual,, like I did on mine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
Hmmm, is there oil on the aperture blades?

As for the cable, you can replace it with something else of the right length.

You can also make the lens fully manual,, like I did on mine.

There is no oil on the blades.

But there is something else... when I removed the back of the lens, it came off 2 small balls, one I did what you told me, to put in the spring...now the click stops work... but what about the other ball?

And how can I make it fully manual?

thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While rotating the aperture ring you must press the pin from the mount for the aperture to close.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I think you can help me Smile I have posted a new thread however no response yet maybe due to imprecise description. Nevertheless please take a look as the photos may be sufficient for further discussion and advising.

http://forum.mflenses.com/pancolar-50-1-8-aperture-not-working-t48366.html

The problem is similar to Ivan Lee's however it is about Pancolar 1.8 50mm. Aperture ring works loosely and does not affect at apertures position. No clicking too.. the only way to set it is to use M/A switch but it is very tiring.

Here are some photos, the metal ball is in position but I don't have a clue how to assemble it and get it back to working. f11 value is on the counterside of the metal ball on the outer side of the ring. How to put this part:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/LmYUT-KphVwn7oHup8XMa9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

How to position it against other parts of the lens to get it finally back to working.

I suppose that the spring is just too short or something.

Should you have further questions do not hesitate to contact me.

Photos:

[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-easy-way-to-clean-and-re-lube-a-carl-zeiss-pancolar-18-t43840.html
I posted some closeups of the mecanisms in there maybe of use to you

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much however your Pancolar is a different model and mechanisms are different. Can you identify the part I provided a picasa link for?