Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Klaus S., is our world coming to an end?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Klaus S., is our world coming to an end? Reply with quote

As good as a 100/6.3 Luminar, but not as expensive ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Klaus S., is our world coming to an end? Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:

As good as a 100/6.3 Luminar, but not as expensive ...

Question
Click here to see on Ebay.de

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would one do with that?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 90/6.3 Mikrotar is a direct competitor of the 100/6.3 Luminar and 100/6.3 Neupolar.

All three are very high performance macro lenses for 4x5. The Luminar's recommended range of magnifications on 4x5 is 0.8x - 8x. I've never seen documentation on the Mikrotar or Neupolar, use my 100/6.3 Neupolar on 2x3 from 1:8 to ~ 2:1.

The 100 Luminar is a triplet, the other two are reversed Tessars. That is, Tessars with the cemented doublet facing the subject, not the film.

I've had one each 90 Mikrotar and 100 Luninar and three 100 Neupolars, still have a 100 Neupolar. The 100 Neupolar is quite usable at infinity but covers only 6x6 at distance due to mechanical vignetting. My 90 Mikrotar went to Charlie Barringer. I don't know what he did with it, do know that he replaced a Minolta Compact Bellows' MD mounts with Contax SLR, put a 100 Luminar on it on a Contax SLR and used it at all distances. He said it was ok.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come you have overlooked that it is for a projection system only? ::biggrin::
There were two different series of Mikrotars - this is "the other"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my, no diaphragm. Grin and feel good.

I haven't been very attuned to diaphragms in macro lenses since I bought a 24/2.8 Summar, the one sold for Leitz' YELUU microprojector attachment for some Prado projectors. Fixed aperture lens that the gurus on Usenet (remember Usenet?) all said was a terrible taking lens. Turns out that it is outstanding at >= 15:1, where stopping down only reduces resolution. Not surprising for a projector lens.