Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Angenieux 35-70mm F 2.5-3.3 REVIEW
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Angenieux 35-70mm F 2.5-3.3 REVIEW Reply with quote

Pros: Colour, sharpness, tonal gradation, lightweight
Cons: Range, vignetting, size
Sharpness: 9 Aberrations: 7 Bokeh: 8 Handling: 9 Value: 7

tested on Sony Alpha 850
This is a lens that has subtle qualities that grow on you. The colours this lens renders are oustanding and unique with a warm golden feel to the photographs. There is a creamy softness to the images that belies the fact that detail definition is superb. The lens is of low contrast yet renders shadow detail well. I have never owned a Leica lens but these are the qualities that I would associate with that brand. There is some vigneting wide open as there is some corner softness. The lens is well made and lightweight. Focusing is accurate and easy, enabling fine focusing to be made through a normal viewfinder.
I prefer using this lens to my walkaround Minolta 28-135 which is often rated as competing with the Zeiss 24-70. This is a great lens and is probably worth the 800 USD I paid. This price was considerably less than many samples selling for 1000- 2000 USD

Colour rendition

1:5 "macro" ability - at f2.5

Golden colour gamut. Detailed rendition

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing lens. Probably one of the best zoom lenses you can find!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

+1 ... I currently use mine on my 5DII, the results are stunning ... And i paid 400 euros for the lens *boxed*, with all the tools and paperwork Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice lens indeed!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angenieux made a 35-70 F 2.8 for Leitz in the 70's for the Leicaflex SLII and the R range of bodies. That lens was massively better than any other 35-70 made at the time (they also supplied a 70-210 F 3.5 to Leitz in the same era), so these findings do not surprise me in the least:)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Magnifique! Not only the best, but maybe a fastest good one!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anscochrome wrote:
Angenieux made a 35-70 F 2.8 for Leitz in the 70's for the Leicaflex SLII and the R range of bodies. That lens was massively better than any other 35-70 made at the time (they also supplied a 70-210 F 3.5 to Leitz in the same era), so these findings do not surprise me in the least:)

Never heard of such lens of that vintage, would like to hear more. I thought the only zoom available (from Leica ) for Leicaflex at that time was the 45-90 f2.8 Angenieux...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely soft glow. Looks like a beautiful lens.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cambug wrote:
Never heard of such lens of that vintage, would like to hear more. I thought the only zoom available (from Leica ) for Leicaflex at that time was the 45-90 f2.8 Angenieux...

I guess you are right, the only Leicaflex is the 45-90 f2.8, the 35/70mm can be found in differents mounts (canon FD, Nikon, minolta...).
Great samples with lovely rendering!..I have the big brother 70/210 f3.5 and it is without any doubt my best lens ever Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for all your comments. Appeciated.
Malcolm