Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Micro-Nikkor 200/4 Ais at an Air Show
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Micro-Nikkor 200/4 Ais at an Air Show Reply with quote

I briefly attended a local air show today. All I had was my D700 and a Micro-Nikkor 200/4 Ais. Sadly, it was hazy, gray, and overcast with very low contrast until the very end. It's always difficult to get any kind of decent photos under these conditions.

Here's the best I could get, through no fault of the Nikkor or manual focus.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like very much the airshows.
Your pictures are excellent, I would just point out a little issue: As far as I can see in the EXIF data, you have shot @ 1/2000 with a 200mm focal length equivalent. For handheld shots, there is a rule that says is enough to shot at 1/focal length, so probably with a speed lower than 1/2000 and between 1/2000 and 1/200 on the second and fourth shots you could have gotten some movement on the plane propellers that currently are seen static, like if the plane had the engines turned off... Smile
Otherwise, excellent shots.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the last shot but agree with Jesito about the shutter speeds.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like the last one! Good job!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
I like very much the airshows.
Your pictures are excellent, I would just point out a little issue: As far as I can see in the EXIF data, you have shot @ 1/2000 with a 200mm focal length equivalent. For handheld shots, there is a rule that says is enough to shot at 1/focal length, so probably with a speed lower than 1/2000 and between 1/2000 and 1/200 on the second and fourth shots you could have gotten some movement on the plane propellers that currently are seen static, like if the plane had the engines turned off... Smile
Otherwise, excellent shots.

Regards.
Jes.

You are absolutely right about the shutter speed. The light was low and the shutter speed (at f/8 ) was ranging from 1/200 to about 1/500 or a bit faster. Then the P-38 and A-10 arrived, flying in formation. As they made flybys, the sun broke out from the clouds for the first time. Didn't even occur to me to stop down to slow-up the shutter (no shutter speed priority with MF lenses). Duh.

I'll have to try to remember the next time I take shots of propeller-driven aircraft. Would have made a big difference. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to disagree with the shutter speed comment. The third and fourth images are stunning and I'm particularly attracted to the look in the fourth like it's hanging, motionless, in the air. But there's no accounting for taste.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last picture its just awesome and for a hazy day, your pictures seem very clear to me!