Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"in need of professional clean"
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: "in need of professional clean" Reply with quote

or so the ebay listing said, for this Auto Chinon 200/3.5 Confused the price was minimal so I took the risk, half expecting fungus and all manner of nasties.

now, I'm a relative noob here so if anyone can point out the bits which require a "professional clean" I'd be grateful. Razz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, its possible the lens went somewhere it really wasn't supposed to go and was just wiped down/rinsed off... any funny smells? Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirrith wrote:
Well, its possible the lens went somewhere it really wasn't supposed to go and was just wiped down/rinsed off... any funny smells? Wink

Surprised no nothing out of the ordinary Laughing
It doesn't have a mark on it and came in a 'as new' case. I'm starting to think the seller mixed up the description with another lens.
Tested it yesterday and everything works perfectly, I'm pleased to have only spent a £10 on it. Razz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many sellers say this now to protect themselves from buyers who are expecting a brand new lens from the 1970s...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Many sellers say this now to protect themselves from buyers who are expecting a brand new lens from the 1970s...

Ah, I see. I guess it's wise to protect against stupidity. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Sirrith wrote:

It doesn't have a mark on it and came in a 'as new' case. I'm starting to think the seller mixed up the description with another lens.
Tested it yesterday and everything works perfectly, I'm pleased to have only spent a £10 on it. Razz

So, what are you trying to clean if the lens works flawlessly?
If there isn't a problem don't try to fix it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catch.

Seller may swap the lens by mistake and send you the good one Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for sarcasm.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, there are faults that cannot be shown through 2-3 generic pictures.

Haze is the most difficult to show, as well as light fungus on the edges of the glass.
Also coating marks and light scratches in most cases cannot be shown without looking the glass through a lamp.

So maybe the lens has one of the above faults and could use some cleaning but most of the times it may not be needed since depending on the extend of the fault, IQ may not be hindered.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

Oh the troubles with buyers, I sold a Pentacon 2.8/135 M42 to a guy, he says it has fungus. I ask him to take a pic of the fungus and he sends me a pic of the crystalised glue around the edge of the front element. I explained what it was but he says a camera shop confirmed it was fungus. In the end he took it apart himself and destroyed it, silly bugger. Then there was the guy who returned a Pentacon 3.5/30 with a list of faults, he said it was dirty inside and out, scratched, bent filter ring, focus scale innaccurate, aperture blades oily and sluggish and other faults. It came back and not one of the issues he listed was actually true. I asked him why he lied and he left feedback that I was highly abusive, buyers beware. There's at least half a dozen more examples I could list, there are some absolute liars and thieves out there, seller beware these days! Far East buyers are the worst, many expect items to be like new, I've had so many problems with them I'm close to banning all East Asians from my auctions.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilguercio wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
Sirrith wrote:

So, what are you trying to clean if the lens works flawlessly?
If there isn't a problem don't try to fix it.

I'm not trying to clean anything, nor am I fixing a non-existent fault.
I was typing with my tongue firmly fixed in my cheek. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsmlogger wrote:
Sometimes, there are faults that cannot be shown through 2-3 generic pictures.

Haze is the most difficult to show, as well as light fungus on the edges of the glass.
Also coating marks and light scratches in most cases cannot be shown without looking the glass through a lamp.

So maybe the lens has one of the above faults and could use some cleaning but most of the times it may not be needed since depending on the extend of the fault, IQ may not be hindered.

I spent more time than necessary with a strong torch looking for any signs of the possible issues you mentioned, alas I could find nothing of the sort. Paranoia was creeping in and I took the torch to 7 other lenses to compare, still I could find nothing to worry about.
I suppose the seller was simply covering their backs by making that statement, as has been suggested.
Fine by me, I have a beautiful, clean, working lens for very little money. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, looks like you were lucky then.
It seemed like you were over worrying but i think now i got the point.
Enjoy your new lens, let us see some samples.
Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilguercio wrote:
Well, looks like you were lucky then.
It seemed like you were over worrying but i think now i got the point.
Enjoy your new lens, let us see some samples.
Wink

I will, as soon as the snow stops Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like there's an adapter on the lens. Did you try unscrewing it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M. Valdemar wrote:
It looks like there's an adapter on the lens. Did you try unscrewing it?

It's a M42-EOS I attached when it arrived. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be extraordinarily lucky, but out of 100+ ebay sales I have only once had a problem with a buyer, and in that case he was entirely right and we arranged a partial refund.

I have never had a problem with Asian sales.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ever had one issue with buyers in Asia, it was a chap in China who bought a lens sold as "faulty, for parts or not working" with "with fungus, haze and scratches" and wanted a refund as their local photographic shop couldn't return it to like new condition Laughing

Describe your items well and there's no room for nasty tricks Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="iangreenhalgh1"]
ManualFocus-G wrote:
Far East buyers are the worst, many expect items to be like new, I've had so many problems with them I'm close to banning all East Asians from my auctions.

This.

When I was selling off my Zeiss glass (Yeah, I prefer my Pentacons), most of the bids were from the Far East. I took many internal shots of the lenses, bright lights through them and all. All f them tried the "Not as descrtibed, but if you issue a partial refund..." trick.

Thankfully, and I believe, somewhat unusually, ebay sided with me in all 4 cases, as I sent them a link to an album with nearly 150 shots of the lenses in question, showing every single scratch and mark on them.

The guy who bought the Flek 35/2.4 was so enraged he sent me abusive messages for a week until ebay kicked his rear off the site.

I know it's anecdotal evidence, bur all 4 Far East buyers tried this, and I have only had minor issues with anywhere else, usually down to the person not reding the description properly.

Needless to say, on the rare occaisions I sell on ebay now, they are excluded. No exceptions.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am Asien and I used to live in Far East.
I think who usually deal with Chinese have most problems from them.
And of course, North Vietnam.