Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Electronic viewfinder for NEX-5N (found it at last)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Electronic viewfinder for NEX-5N (found it at last) Reply with quote

Have been looking for the EVF for NEX, for quite some time.
I would like to test it before ordering, but nothing in the stores here in Athens.

I found it in stock, momentarily, in the Sony online shop and I ordered it.
Now it is out of stock again.

I was lucky to have a 30% discount coupon, because it is 350€ !
Even at 250€, I find it VERY expensive.
However, it is necessary for outdoor shooting in bright sun with MF lenses.
I hope it is as good as Carsten says Laughing
I will receive it tomorrow and I will report my experience.

It seems that Sony is interested in MF lenses users:
"2359K dot resolution for detail-packed view of fine details while framing and focusing manually"

BTW, the Sony online shop seems rather expensive.
I bought my NEX-5N kit for 770€ (local shop, 3 interest-free installments with my credit card),
and they sell it for 890€ !

I tried to post a link, but SONY's links defy logic...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that this viewfinder is really good!

The image is exceptionally clear with very high contrast.
I did some indoor testing and, after I got used to it, I have to say
that it makes accurate focusing easy, even for moving subjects.

My only problem is that it is difficult for me to quickly find the zoom button,
while I am looking through the viewfinder.
I guess I will get used to it too.

I would like to note that the ability to tilt the viewfinder is very useful,
especially for people wearing glasses.

Highly recommended, if you can justify the price.
My reasoning is that it raises the value of my total investment.
Else, I find it very annoying that I paid 250€ for this little plastic shit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking on different way, this is not a plastic sh.. one of the best EVF and pretty reasonable if count how little your camera, how many lenses are mountable and you can compare sensor quality with others more $$$ camera too.

I am envy congrats!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review, I'm also thinking about to buy this EVF but I found also the price very high (half the price of the cam Shocked ), I must first good think about it Confused ........

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Thinking on different way, this is not a plastic sh.. one of the best EVF and pretty reasonable if count how little your camera, how many lenses are mountable and you can compare sensor quality with others more $$$ camera too.

All these do not change the fact that it is VERY overpriced.
By the same argument, Leica lenses are cheap Wink

The production cost is hardly 50-60 Euros (an iPhone costs 200$ to make).
They could sell it for 150€, for a 200% profit margin.
200% is not enough you think?

The point is that in SONY they know that those of us who are going to buy it,
would pay 200€ more than the normal price.
And they take advantage of it... This is very annoying.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations Nikos!

The availability of the tilting EVF tipped the scale in favor of getting a NEX which has been tempting with it's small size, little weight and great usability of manual lenses ever since. I always remember how much I enjoyed the tilting EVF of my Konica Minolta A2.

Just as on the A2 I often use the EVF not only for shooting but also for reviewing and changing settings which means that I can do all without the use optical glasses! The tilt is great, mine by 'default' is tilted up about 45 degrees, very relaxing for the neck and easy to get low angles.

After some weeks now I must say that 'my' focus accuracy using the EVF is not better then with my Pentax K-x using viewfinder magnifier and Katzeye, that this is no small feat (!) and I guess once I have as much practice as with my K-x my 'hit rate' with the EVF should even be better. Enlarged view for critical focusing I usually do on the LCD choosing the focus point on the touch screen. When using the EVF I also have found the - too small - button for enlarged view difficult to hit but with practice this has improved. I usually don't scroll from there to find the focus point but focus in the first enlarged center and recompose.

I don't find it 'plasticy', it is always mounted and feels very sturdy, even if it may not look so.

Some user find the EVF to be too contrasty and recommend to set the contrast and saturation to -3, but the sharpness to +3 to improve that, if shot in RAW the setting of course won't influence the output.

imo the EVF makes the NEX a complete camera without crucial but a few minor disadvantages as compared to a OVF, but as a package on a NEX with many advantages Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

imo the EVF makes the NEX a complete camera without crucial but a few minor disadvantages as compared to a OVF, but as a package on a NEX with many advantages Wink

I agree with you. That's why I paid the 250€ Laughing
And for macro photography, the tilted EVF is better than any SLR's optical viewfinder.