Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

adapting (via disassembly) a super takumar 55mm f2 for Nikon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: adapting (via disassembly) a super takumar 55mm f2 for Nikon Reply with quote

I just watched a video disassembly of this lens (https://youtu.be/g6EmH9zIl_w?t=170) and it seems I can push the rear lens backwards (towards the sensor) via using some sort of washer/shim so the rear element assembly is not screwed all the way.

Has anyone done something similar? if yes, any tips? Can you do the operation by removing the rear element directly? On the video link, the guy started from the front.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elements in front of diaphragm are in a removable capsule. Elements in back of diaphragm are in a removable capsule. Shimming only rear capsule would change the internal distance between front and rear capsules, degrading overall performance. How much? Easy enough to unscrew the rear capsule the mm necessary to achieve Nikon register distance, just to try it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done this to change the focal length of Russian lenses to more closely match the Leica standard. Changing distance by 1~2mm- I could not detect a change in quality. One of my lenses, a 1950 J-3, was improved by moving the rear group out by 1mm. It was misassembled in 1950 and the focal length was too short.

Nikon did this with the 10.5cm F2.5 to adapt to the F-Mount, moved the rear element in closer to the front elements by ~1mm in order to clear the mirror.

The rear elements of the Pentax 50/1.4 simply unscrew from the lens, very easy to do. No need to touch the front elements. I cured the yellowing of my Super-Tak by removing the rear group and placing under UV.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done this with Canon FD 1.8/50 to make it EOS but difference was noticeable. I liked the effect though. See here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-fd-s-c-1-8-50mm-on-5dmkii-and-crazy-center-swirl-t41431.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M42 to F is only 1.04mm farther separated compared to FD to EOS 2mm closer. Half the distance, parted not closer.

Changes center of lens focus compared to edge focus, gradually. Moving closer makes edges in-focus before center -- with center in-focus, edges become foreground. Moving apart make center in focus before edges -- with center in-focus, edges become background. Foreground and background effects can be different also.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you move the rear element group backwards enough to achieve infinity focus it could well hit the mirror.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Super-Takumar 85mm with the rear element too far out of the rear so it reaches infinity at 5 meters (I use a Pentax so no adjustment needed) So maybe some Nikon shooter tangled with it.