Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hard Konica AR body cover - Affordable solution found
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Hard Konica AR body cover - Affordable solution found Reply with quote

Please help if you know the answer to this:

I've recently acquired a number of Konica AR film cameras, bought for their lenses. However:

Some of the camera bodies actually work very well. They deserve proper care. I store the lenses separately, not attached to the camera bodies. This leaves the bodies open, which is the problem I'm trying to address.

I've shopped for proper Konica AR camera body covers on eBay. They are available but the cost is too much for me.

Can anyone suggest a (probably non-Konica) cap or cover which will work with Konica AR camera bodies as a body cover? I'm not trying for authenticity here. I just want to protect my Konica camera bodies which arrived in much better-than-expected condition.

Last edited by guardian on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrap mine in plastic grocery bags to keep the dust out--not very elegant, but works.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cling film - cut to size to cover lens mount.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Cling film - cut to size to cover lens mount.

I've done something like this, too, but just wrapped the whole thing in Saran Wrap.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood. Thanks.

Yes, I probably should have mentioned I'm wrapping in plastic now, just to keep the dirt and dust out.

But I'm really hoping someone has discovered a better way, a cap designed for something else that just happens to fit the Konica AR body and seal it up.

The covers and caps I see on eBay come mostly from China. You can buy a popular one for a dollar or two. But the more unusual caps and covers can go for closer to five bucks. I'm just hoping maybe one of the more popular covers also works for Konica AR.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing to research this matter, I just stumbled across this post:

http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-ar-body-cap-can-i-use-minolta-or-sony-t48961.html#1224892

Can anyone confirm the above, or at least comment on it. Has anyone tried Nikon?

ETA

FWIW, I just checked Nikon body cap pricing on eBay. Nikon body caps sell for a buck with FS. If a Nikon body cap would protect my Konica AR bodies, that's surely what I'm looking for!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Understood. Thanks.

Yes, I probably should have mentioned I'm wrapping in plastic now, just to keep the dirt and dust out.

But I'm really hoping someone has discovered a better way, a cap designed for something else that just happens to fit the Konica AR body and seal it up.

The covers and caps I see on eBay come mostly from China. You can buy a popular one for a dollar or two. But the more unusual caps and covers can go for closer to five bucks. I'm just hoping maybe one of the more popular covers also works for Konica AR.

Plastic wrap can bigger enemy than dust ... fungus!! a little bigger cardboard cap help to keep it dust free and no fungus issue like with plastic wrap.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess no one else has tried the Nikon caps. So I'll be the guinea pig.

This auction has 'em cheap:

Click here to see on Ebay

Annoying these are so affordable while the genuine Konica caps are several dollars each!

Such is life. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Konica mount the same as the Minolta SRT 102? If so, I can try a Nikon body cap on my SRT2.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Is the Konica mount the same as the Minolta SRT 102? If so, I can try a Nikon body cap on my SRT2.

Thank you. That's very good of you to offer.

But, no. The AR (AutoReflex) mount was Konica's mount prior to the Minolta takeover. It is smaller than the mount to which you made reference. That's my best understanding, anyway.

I've already bought two of the Nikon caps. I will report back whether they work . . . . . or not. Course it will take a couple of weeks for my caps to arrive from China. I am in the USA.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teleconverters in AR mount can be another source for body and lens caps.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than cling film I think, I have all my old cameras in airtight re-sealable freezer bags (from Tesco)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My quest to find an affordable body cap for Konica camera bodies with AR mounts has ended with success.

I bought in China the Nikon caps here:

Click here to see on Ebay

The caps arrived today, after a ten day wait. It was necessary to make some rudimentary modifications to the Nikon caps. But in the end it all came out well. Since genuine Konica AR body caps cost circa US$5 each, the low cost of these Nikon body caps is most welcome.

If anyone else pursues this course, post back here once your caps arrive and I will explain the modifications I made. Suffice it for now to mention the Nikon caps are the right size but tighten backward compared with the real Konica caps. This can be overcome easily. I used a jewelers file, but many other tools can be used to remove just a bit of plastic.

Bottom line, I now have at affordable cost the (hard) protection I wanted for my Konica AR camera bodies. So I'm quite happy.